Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm fitting a 6 speed to my mk1, which has a 4.1 diff.

I'm trying to do the maths but it's making my head hurt.... can anyone tell me the correct size speedo gear required to make the speedometer somewhat right?

Thanks
Rocky

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,303 Posts
4.1 with a 6 speed is pretty short. Not too bad NA but with boost it's maybe a little too short.

·
layabout
2,698 Posts
4.1 with a 6 speed is pretty short. Not too bad NA but with boost it's maybe a little too short.

Mx5 mk1 & mk2 5speed gearbox vs. 6 speed gearbox gear speeds. 4.1:1 final drive & 7500rpm
as you can see, 1st gear is for driving up the side of a house but 2nd-6th are a lovely close-ratio gearkit ;)

Rich.

·
5,303 Posts
Yeh I know, i've 6 speeds in both my cars, one with a 3.9, and one with a 4.1 and supercharger. Might as well start in 2nd. I will say I much prefer the 6 speed ratio spacing though, it makes a huge difference and really highlights how long 2nd on the 5 speed is

Reactions: Zed.

·
5,303 Posts
Since I live in 2nd gear I'd be fucked lol
You only live in it because it's so long it covers 50% of all the available speed you can do in an mx5

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is almost exclusively an autosolo car, so the closer ratios are exactly what I'm looking for... hopefully stay in 2nd the whole way around 🤣

Anyway no going back to 5 speed as I sheared a bolt for the slave cylinder in the old gearbox 🤣😭

Never mind they cheap and plentiful, not worth the effort to try and remove it.... on that note if anyone wants to collect I will leave it outside the house 🤣

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
413 Posts
Mine is almost exclusively an autosolo car, so the closer ratios are exactly what I'm looking for... hopefully stay in 2nd the whole way around 🤣

Anyway no going back to 5 speed as I sheared a bolt for the slave cylinder in the old gearbox 🤣😭

Never mind they cheap and plentiful, not worth the effort to try and remove it.... on that note if anyone wants to collect I will leave it outside the house 🤣
theres a guy on here who buys 5 speeds for kit cars...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts