Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon All

Ok so seeing as I've ripped all my interior out to start my project I've decided I may as well add a bit of bite to the cars sound system whilst I'm at at. The problem? I know nothing about in car entertainment! I've noticed a few threads about subs that will fit on the parcel shelf etc but I'm wondering if anyone could give me an idea of exaclty what I need to fit my requirments.

Ok so what I'm looking at is:

2 better speakers for the door so they should be a straight swap.

A thin, small sub I can put on the shelf behind the seats. I'm going to build a housing with a slide top on it so that the sub is concealed when parked up.

I would prefer stuff that isnt brand new so I can search for used one to keep costs down and it doesn't have to be the loudest thing on earth just a decent sound.

Also some information or walk through guide on wiring it all up.

Any info would be greatly appreciated so I can weigh up if its worth it.

Cheers

·
Registered
805 Posts
I purchased some ex demo JBL speakers for £15 from halfords and an alpine swd-1600 6.5" flat sub from a chap on here for £50 that should fit behind the seat without losing any leg room. I going to plumb in a high level out put>RCA converter to my HU to use the rear channels to feed the sub via an RCA lead.

Will let you know what it sounds like but I am fully expecting to to sound great. Worth bearing in mind as a shelf sounds like a bit of work in comparison.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey,

Yea cheers let me know how that goes. I found a really good guide somewhere in which the guy bought a spare metal pracel shelf (just in case he wanted to change it back) and two 6 inch subs. He cut holes at the front/top of the shelf, just to the sides of the petrol tank and carried the wires down through the centre console. This was perfect as it gave the speakers loads of room underneath for the sound without installing cumbersome boxes, it also looked really neat around the carpet and was easy to pad to stop rattles. He then just upgraded the door speakers for a better sound. I'd probably build two small boxes with a slide panel on the top and carpet them to go over the speakers. It looks tidy and just give you that extra security.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Is there a link? Interested to see the mod!

Rattles etc would be my main concern, and also a tiny bit on the weight of all the dynamat that might be needed to dial it in?

How flexible is the mounting service? I am guessing it would benefit from some bracing to ensure the sub works as best it can?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will have a look for it now, I did bookmark on my home pc but in work atm. Yea it was a real simple set up, there was another one exactly the same in which he took the parcel shelf out and replaced it with some wood he cut to size which he rattled proofed with dynamat etc. Though I'd cut it in the parcel shelf to save weight + money

Yea rattles wouldnt be a problem, get thickish rubber edging glued on with silicon sealer and screw it down as tight as possible. Put some dynamat if you want just to be sure but I'd only do that in the doors.

Actually just found the guide for the wooden replacement one:

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/forums/t/37577.aspx

I know it's from another forum (sorry guys lol)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.