Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's been sat off the road since November 09 when the water pump went for a Burton. This weekend I finally got round to replacing the camblet and doing the water pump. While i was at it I replaced the two cam oil seals.

Now the engine starts and runs fine, but it has developed a pretty loud whine which seems to be coming from the top end somewhere. When driving, it literally sound like an electric R/C car accellerating. It almost sounds supercharged.

Could this be a problem with the oil seal, or could it be that I've over-torqued one of the two cam bearing caps?

I'm sure it's nothing bad, as everything seems to be running fine, just now has a funny noise.

On the plus side it's drowning out the noise of my whining diff...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Sounds like the cambelt is too tight, a garage did the same to mine a couple of years ago, it slackened itself off eventually but still you could do with loosening it. Torque settings should be on here somewhere.

Daz

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without wanting to sound dumb, how can the cambelt be too tight? Surely it's just tensioned by the spring and the tens... oh pissflaps. I don't think I actually tightened the bolt for the tensioner...

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Yeah the play between the two pulleys is fine, I always check that. If it was too slack then when the slack was taken up one of the cams would be out by a tooth. I rotated the crank several times to check the positions and it stayed on its marks so I'm confident the belt is correctly positioned.

I'm pretty sure though that the adjustable tensioner is just finger tight though and being held taught by the spring. When I've done these in the past, I've attached the spring to tension it and then tightened the bolt so it doesn't move while the engine's running. But i think I was rushing a bit trying to get it all done that day.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Are you saying that the bolt that secures the adjustable pulley is not fully tightened? I just allowed the spring to take up the tension on the belt then tightened thebolt up, is that not right?

Barry

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I put the bolt on finger tight, then put on the cambelt and attached the spring to the tensioner. But I think the bolt is still just finger tight.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so looking at this last night it looks like the noise may actually be coming from the alternator belt. It was a brand new belt put on at the same time as the new cambelt but it appears to be frayed along both edges. It's an early 1.6 belt with the single rib. Both the alternator and water pump pulleys spin freely enough, so I don't think it's rubbing on a stuck pulley. It must be sitting too deep in one of the pulleys maybe?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've just pulled out the a/c and put on a shorter PS belt and now i'm whining like i'm supercharged too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts