Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
NA builds are cool but they're so expensive for the least amount of gain, they must be a hoot to drive though! With a supercharger the torque curve will remain the same so its essentially intense NA with more torque. Only fitting a turbo would make the car 'feel' different as the torque curve changes. Totally up to you though! Not many people regret doing NA builds

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, the idea of a supercharger still excites me, but if I were to do one it would be a rotrex to avoid the supercharger whine. It's not that I dislike whine per-se, but I prefer the sound of a high strung NA and I feel I'd get more enjoyment out of being at WOT more of the time, which I wouldn't be able to do as much with a charger due to grip restrictions. The Rotrex is by far the most appealing option for a supercharger for me personally, but it's around £5k so I'm just weighing up whether £5k in NA expenditure would be as good an investment from a smiles-per mile perspective, even though it's obviously going to be worse bhp-wise.
Just be aware that rotrex chargers are centrifugal which means that they 'kick in' at high rpm which essentially makes them a belt driven turbo; this changes the torque curve. I'd stick with positive displacement superchargers if you want the NA feel (m45 is common but m62 gives more power)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is that the case? I knew they are centrifugal, but I thought the torque curve was still linear as the turbine speed was proportional to belt speed, so rather than wait for exhaust pressure to build spool, it would just spool as revs increase? I'm perfectly happy to stand corrected on this as I've never driven one, and if that is true, it means going the ITB NA route is even more appealing! 😄
I used to think the same haha! Yeah for what you're after centrifugal supercharger should be bottom of the list (along with turbo) I'd definitely go NA build or positive displacement

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you want to go down the m62 route find Edd Kellett in the facebook groups (mx5 supercharged is the name of the one im in) and drop him a message. He does a full mounting kit and tensioner for about half a grand. Shadowraven has already done the m62 route so he knows more than me since Ive barely even begun the parts accrual lmao

1 - 5 of 5 Posts