Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vrooooooooom!!
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This on-going saga of my petrol-holic car continues...

Finally she's off to someone tomorrow to run diagnostics on her. What could that show up?

What if it draws a blank?! What next? Blooming thing!

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
It could well turn up something. Sounds like your car has got some sort of over fuelling going on.
They are never particularly good with economy but im guessing you are seeing low 20's mpg if that to be concerned?

Good luck.

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Wow that isn't good. I gon't get brilliant returns from my turboed car but I get nearer to 300 miles to a tank (depending on how I drive of course).

Hopefully the diagnostics will throw up some sort of answers. Other than that buy some shares in SHell or Texaco.

Good luck.

·
Vrooooooooom!!
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nothing came up on the diagnostics....

Stuck now.

Tony's going to service it, its 10months since the last one. althoou probably only 5k miles

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,393 Posts
Nothing came up on the diagnostics....

Stuck now.

Tony's going to service it, its 10months since the last one. althoou probably only 5k miles
Dirty injectors?
Lazy O2 sensor?
Vacuum leak on the induction side causing the O2 sensor to see a lean mixture?

My fuel consumption has improved from low-20s to high-20s since I had the fuel injectors ultrasonically cleaned (ASNU).
I also fitted a new O2 sensor. The old one seemed OK when I checked it on the bench but wasn't sure if it was a bit lazy. Only ?12.50 for a new one (delivered) so it would have been daft not to.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I stole this from a site, but it may help
You can check for Oxygen sensors also. Try replacing the air, petrol, and other filters. Make sure you have the proper size and inflation on your tires. Be sure that there aren't any loose or missing Vacuum tubes. Have your brakes inspected, and have fresh fluids put in. change the spark plugs If your HT leads haven't been replaced they could have to much resistance, causing a dull spark, which doesn't help combustion very well.

Does it use oil? could be valves?

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts