Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Anyone looked into taking a lot (rather than a skim) off a 1.6 head?

Anyone any links or info?

Cheers,

Pat...

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I read something recently and i'm sure P5 were mentioned, might be worth giving them a call...

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Had mine done here carpartsmorley.co.uk though his website seems to be down at the moment. T: 0113 252 6596

Very good bloke who clearly knew his heads
rebuilds, skims and pressure tests them all day long. Took him half a day to do the lot to my old one

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
this is something i shall be doing shortly after the tb's go on for the first time.
Raises compression, but im not sure how much you can get away with.. will have to check with my cylinder head man

·
Waiting For The Summer
2,445 Posts
Unless you want to raise the compression, it might be worth seeing if it really needs a skim.
I took Halli's 18 year old head into work for them to skim it. It was measured first, and found to be 3 - 6 microns (thousandths of a millimetre) out over the whole of the head, so not worth doing

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol - yes we really really want to raise the compression!

Pat...

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Will you be changing the cams too?

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
there is a racing series that allow only stock cars. skimming does not matter though, and so large amounts are removed. Takes a 1.6 from 115bhp to 130bhp like the 1.8

Thats a cheap and easy 15bhp. You wont be able to run on rubbish fuel though.

the series... i forget. sorry!

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
50 is all we allow in one of the uk race series. I think a lot more is required though. Perhaps the dimensions and a calc is required to find a suitable skim for a realistic compression ratio.

·
Registered
759 Posts
50 is all we allow in one of the uk race series. I think a lot more is required though. Perhaps the dimensions and a calc is required to find a suitable skim for a realistic compression ratio.
You already know I'm sure, but skimming retards the valve timing, so you need to bear that in mind and take measures to correct it.

Malcolm

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope - I know nothing at the moment so learning as I go.

What sort of measures?

Pat...

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okey dokey.

50 thou and some verniers for starters.

Anything else I need to know?

Pat...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts