Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My 1989 Eunos has uprated shocks (bright orange in colour) maybe Bilsteins!!!!!!

I have arranged with WIM to fit their lowering springs.

2 Questions:-

1/. If I fit the lowering springs to the existing shocks is the additional spindle travel on the shock likely to cause the shocks to leak?

2/. If I go the new shock route what do people recommend? I dont want to spend fortunes but would like decent set up for the most reasonabe outlay (not track use).

You help with both questions would be really appreciated.

Grant

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both those questions will be answered by Tony @ WIM i'm sure, he lives and breathes suspension and will give his honest opinion on all brands/setups..
Hmm. I'm not sure. I have asked the questions but haven't received his response yet. I got the impression that he won't be drawn on whats hot and whats not (as he doesn't supply kits for MK1).

I guess I just want to avoid leaky shocks if I fit lowering springs and frankly don't know where to get helpful info from as I am a suspension virgin!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
For new shocks on there own to go with lowering springs I'd be looking at a set of KYB AGX's. They are adjustable, from stock-ish setting to firmer and don't lower so should work well with your springs. Set of 4 new would be about ?300 all in I should think.

Shouldn't think the reduced height would cause a problem on your existing shocks as long as the shock piston is not pitted on the section that will pass through the seal, and the shock piston doesn't bottom out, which I would think is unlikely if you retain the OM bumpstops.

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
got any pics of the shocks?

weren't some of the KYB shocks an orange colour?

is there any way to adjust the shocks ie a small knob on the shock body?
no knob. Defo Bilstons I have just checked.

My concern is what i will upset by fitting lowering springs?
[/quote]

you'll affect the suspension geometry I would think, but then that's what WIM do so you'll be in the right place to get things sorted.

See what they say at WIM, they're the shizzle when it comes to suspension & setup on the 5:worship:

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
As others have said Tony won't let anything wrong be done, he has lost 2 jobs in the past with me through his knowledge and honesty, he certainly can be trusted

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For new shocks on there own to go with lowering springs I'd be looking at a set of KYB AGX's. They are adjustable, from stock-ish setting to firmer and don't lower so should work well with your springs. Set of 4 new would be about ?300 all in I should think.

Shouldn't think the reduced height would cause a problem on your existing shocks as long as the shock piston is not pitted on the section that will pass through the seal, and the shock piston doesn't bottom out, which I would think is unlikely if you retain the OM bumpstops.
I intend to replace the boots and bumps stops but kepeing original spec.

How can I find out if the piston is pitted? Or is it just wait and see?
Grant

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.