Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
681 - 700 of 720 Posts

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
Went to put new side skirts on the celica today, it did not go well
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

No where seems to sell replacement panels which is a bummer. It seems to be due to this drain, but iv no idea why it's there and where it's from
Wood Snout Cuisine Close-up Metal

• Wow
Reactions: Zed.

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
Oh dear looks like fab up your own panel...and then cover with a sideskirt?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Yeh it's all hidden by the skirt so if it's ugly it shouldn't matter. It's fairly square in shape so I'm hoping a panel won't be too hard to make but I've no fabrication experience for body work. I need to make sure the mounting locations for the skirts (as circled) match up as they are raised which I'm not sure how to do. The rust does also go pretty high which is a worry, I think I've taken back everything that's completely shot and loose with a wire wheel and can just clean up the inside by the top. For the bottom the surface rust still extends further down the sill and I'd like to tackle it, I might cut the bottom of the section out, give it a good clean up and treat then weld it back in, it might be the most effective way to deal with it without having to remake an entire sill.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
layabout
2,795 Posts
I need to make sure the mounting locations for the skirts (as circled) match up as they are raised which I'm not sure how to do.
tack / stitch-weld some strip steel on as a packer, also allows drilling for screws as thicker than the origonal tinwork.

I might cut the bottom of the section out, give it a good clean up and treat then weld it back in, it might be the most effective way to deal with it without having to remake an entire sill.
it's easier & quicker to make a new section, trying to graft in an old section will be trouble & lots of swearing - unless you like butt-welding?

Rich.

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
Or my prefetwd method, just close your eyes and slap that skirt back on 👍 😂
I mean I wont say that didn't happen. lol. But it does need sorting.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: boosted

·
Registered
685 Posts
I mean I wont say that didn't happen. lol. But it does need sorting. View attachment 60424
Yessss of course it needs sorting!!

But yeah I know it will get done, I need to repair the sills and arches on the BMW, but think I'm going to do a solid but not the cleanest repair, and then slap some skirts on!

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Started cutting away at the celica today... As ever it went further than expected. Still come cleanup to do
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
no guard & no handle 🥴

slitting discs can explode for fun......

🧐

Rich.
I find guards get in the way. They also typically explode if too much pressure is put on them or you accidentally twist them. But you are right and I probably should add the guard.

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Too hot to start welding but all the clean up done and panel made up (plug weld holes to drill yet). Total cost so far £17, gas and wire to go but likely to be £30 total. I can understand why body work is so expensive, it's so time consuming
Tire Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Welding done. Paint and sealer tomorrow and it's done. It's hidden by side skirts and I don't have bssecoat so it'll just be por15
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Turns out 90% of body work is putting out fires.

Reactions: dadbif and Zed.

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
Thats some very neat mig work. Cant remember the last time i welded summit....probably last winter lol

The mig iv got is really good, it's really controllable at low settings. Argon/co2 blend also makes the arc smaller and more precise

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Im C02 only i tried 1 bottle of mix as i picked that up by mistake and it all went horrible. Mmmm.
Ive got a gert big bottle of C02 in garage ready for winter..

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 ·
And all done. Also cleaned up a little rust on the sunroof.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Blue Automotive lighting

·
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
Got the NBFL out on track at Combe for the first time in forever, and first time with the 6 speed/new clutch. I still have a fair amount of clutch judder which I really don't think is normal. It's not getting any better and it pretty pronounced when down shifting if the revs are a bit mismatched.

@guitaristanime joined me for the day so was nice to have some company (and a spare car to store the tools, lol). The day was really good, it was a wet morning but cleared up after lunch and remained dry for the afternoon, true open pit with 1 off 1 on, 12-14 on track at a time, didn't need to queue more than 5 mins at any point and managed over 115 laps (2 full tanks of fuel, ouch). Everyone behaved and was courteous. Few red flags but I was lucky enough not to be caught by any and none lasted more than 10 mins so over all a good day.

The car did really well, the AR1s in the wet combined with being maybe a little too confident in the car meant I was the fastest on track in the wet. They were really predictable and progressive so it was easy to control. I only had one little spin in the wet due to an issue that I suffered with for a lot of the morning. I struggled with the downshift from 4th into 3rd, which was one I needed to do a lot, it just wouldn't go into gear. I duno if this is a 6 speed thing, something related to my 6 speed specifically as it sat for 7 or so years, related to the box getting too hot, or my short shifter but it was a bit of a pain. The spin occured as I was chasing a Porche, tried to out brake it into Quarry (or rather while in Quarry, from 100+mph, which by the end of the day I was able to do, lol) but couldn't get it in gear, which led to missing the turn in and having to over correct and hastely dumping the clutch which upset the car and span me.

Apart from the 4-3 issue the 6 speed is great, the ratios really are much better and the car felt much faster, always in the power, and I had better options for gear selection in general. Whether or not it actually was faster I don't know but I was able to keep pace with a good number of the cars on track, however being 50+hp down on a lot of them meant that while I could stay with them for a while I wasn't really able to get past. Sorting the turbo install would really help to correct this, but I am pretty happy with the car as it is now the 6 speed has helped with the gearing. It's nice to have a reliable stock engine car that has full interior and way more tyre, brake, and suspension than is sensible for 150hp. If I hadn't already bought all the parts I'd consider leaving it as it is.

The last thing is that the track trashing appears to have cleared my sticking neutral switch issue.

I'll put some videos up at a later date once I can edit them down a bit.

681 - 700 of 720 Posts