Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
601 - 620 of 633 Posts

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #601 · (Edited)
Car is now back to basically where it was when I got it back from the tuner. New water pump, cam seals, crank seal, and crank bolt torqued up to 122ftlbs. A few pieces like the cam gear backing plate were tarted up with some fresh paint too. I had to cut down an old 4mm broken drill bit to use as a locating dowel for the trigger wheel/damper which was stuck in place with chemical metal, I also used new stainless bolts for the crank pulley and loctited them as tight as I dare. Hopefully should't get loose again.

I managed to sort the AC to radiator clearance issue by making a small bracket, it's not ideal to have it fixed like this but it's better than it rubbing through the radiator.

I could not be arsed to swap the engine mounts, i'll run the car for a bit then swap them at a later date once it's sorted. The charger is actually super easy to take off and lift out as a whole, brackets, intake and all so it shouldnt take too long.

Car needs a new supercharger belt, coolant/bleeding, shifter bush/boot, 45 degree BOV pipe as unit 3 welded the pipe angled up towards the bonnet for some reason :rolleyes: and the cam sensor wiring they hacked up correcting... getting there

Blue Automotive tire Rim Gas Household hardware

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Rim

Reactions: Zed.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
New lower shift boot and nylon bush sorted and the gear stick all cleaned up. The center console has been damaged though where the garage has tried to force it shut with the angry bird plush I have there in the way of the cup holder...... my MOMO gear knob collar is also missing.... some people really are trash. I'm sure I'll find more wrong the more I dig into the car too.

• Wow

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #604 ·
Car's running. Need to play with it a bit more at the weekend but a few issues already. First is that the ICV doesnt seem to be getting power from the wire it's meant to and I don't know why. Without the bodge to hack power out of my cam angle sensor that unit 3 attempted the car will start and idle for about 5 seconds so it leads me to think this isn't necessarily a completely ICV related issue, and it might be tune/setting related, but I duno. Would all the cold start associated stuff that's essentially closed loop still allow this short period of idle to occur? I'd of thought if the ICV was the issue and wasn't getting power, it'd be shut and that engine wouldn't be able to start/idle at all? Opinions please.

My throttle bodies have also been tampered with. What's meant to happen is the normal TB is closed the most and enables it to control idle, with the other TB slightly cracked open and basically just acting as noise reduction and allowing some vacuum before the SC to reduce stress on it. However it seems the other TB is primarily controlling idle and cracking that open massively ups idle. I'm hoping fiddling around with these to re-balance them as they should be doesn't affect anything else.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #605 · (Edited)
Fixing the "icv has no power" issue was a piece of piss.... started with literally the most basic first step I could think of and updated the firmware, problem solved, literally took 30 seconds. Idle is less stable now as it seems to be miss firing as AFRs occasionally spike to 16. I suspect the tune is just no where near as done as Unit 3 said. Tidying up the wiring was easy as they'd been soldered so badly it just lifted off, the cam angle side came off by itself....

Also think I've worked out why the "bov is interfering with idle", it's not the BOV, it's that the TBs aren't balanced and the secondary TB is the one controlling idle, it's causing the vac either side of the BOV to equalise too much which is causing the spring to oscillate. I need to check this once the SC is connected up again (no belt atm) but suspect this is the case and the balancing I've now done seems to have helped a lot.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #609 ·
Abs sensor removal isn't going well... Basically turned to dust lol
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Trunk

·
layabout
2,433 Posts
Abs sensor removal isn't going well... Basically turned to dust lol View attachment 59496
the sensor OR the securing bolt?

hammer & punch to remove the remains of the sensor, sandpaper to clean the bore in the upright.

as to the bolt, I weld nuts onto snapped fastners...

Rich.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #611 ·
the sensor OR AND the securing bolt?

hammer & punch to remove the remains of the sensor, sandpaper to clean the bore in the upright.

as to the bolt, I weld nuts onto snapped fastners...

Rich.
Lol.

Been beating the crap out of it and no joy. Will give it another go at the weekend when I have proper light again. The welding trick is definitely going to be required, just need to get the remaining portion of the sensor out first, thanks.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
if you want to play paper-scissors-stone then dynamite or semtex beats blowtorch :ROFLMAO:

Rich.
Might need those, its beaten me at the game of spanner, hammer, really f'ing big hammer

• Haha

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #616 ·
ABS sensor is out! Hooray. BUT, the snapped bolt refused to move, welding nuts on the end just sheared again, I did manage to drill a nice central hole into it, only to then have a bolt extractor turn to cheese on me and snap the second I decided to try and take it out to just continue drilling... sooo yeh, still stuck, lol. I Should be able to just wedge a sensor in now though and leave the bolt for a garage to deal with.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #618 ·
If I can get the snapped extractor out I can just drill it out a little more and re-tap it, I shouldnt have bothered trying to be a smart arse and use an extractor.

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #619 ·
Turbo bits ordered.

• Love
Reactions: Zed. and Yugen

·
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #620 ·