Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
501 - 520 of 548 Posts

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Lol. Intake brace refitted. Had to rotate the sandwich plate a touch but there's absolutely masses of space. Will need to remove the brace to swap the filter but given just how much easier doing this makes it anyway there's no issue.

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
Yeh tbh I wouldnt have tried to refit it if you hadnt said. Not sure there's space for oil cooler lines though as i'll need to do the same with one on the track car.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Like i said give it a trim on track car and fit fine and still do its job of support.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Like i said give it a trim on track car and fit fine and still do its job of support.

It depends, if you can come of the plate facing backwards towards the cabin and either use another 90 degree fitting, or are able to just loop the hoses by the chassis leg you could clear it without trimming I imagine. Will give it a go when I get round to it.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It might be buried deep in this topic, though what did you do to address the spongey feeling on the Celica brakes?
I see you've got the Wilwood kit on, though did it eliminate the sponginess?

I'm a bit tempted to buy my brothers T-Sport (he's had the car from new and it's now sitting unused since he got his new car last year) though the brakes have always put me off the Celica; it's a shame as the handling is very good on them.

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 · (Edited)
It might be buried deep in this topic, though what did you do to address the spongey feeling on the Celica brakes?
I see you've got the Wilwood kit on, though did it eliminate the sponginess?

I'm a bit tempted to buy my brothers T-Sport (he's had the car from new and it's now sitting unused since he got his new car last year) though the brakes have always put me off the Celica; it's a shame as the handling is very good on them.
My car came with the wilwoods, braided lines and a cusco MC brace so I've never felt the stock brakes. The brakes were spongy when I got them, same after changing the calipers to the more modern forged dynalites, they only got better once I changed compound from yellowstuff to BP20. The BP20s arent the quietest pad but they do have a really nice feel to them, much more immediate and the brakes really are silly good now. A set of dynalites/superlites and good compound pads (on the front) should completely eliminate the brake issues.

I would really recommend the T sports, especially given how cheap they are. They don't have much torque and you really need to drive them properly to make good progress but with the spare wheel, jack etc out of them they are really light at a hair under 1100kg and have one of the best driving engines I've experienced. They are rotary smooth, pedal position is fantastic, heel and toe is so easy you do it every shift, the gearbox is nicer than an mx5 one (I have a short shifter and longer knob to bring it back to stock height), there is plenty of space in the front, the driving position is really nice, boot is massive, the fuel economy can be into the 40s on motorways and with an exhaust they sound really nice. Despite only having 190hp they do keep up with a lot, it really surprised my brother as he was convinced his 430d M Sport would walk me but the celica just sat next to him the whole way 60-130. Being FWD you do notice a small push if you are pushing the limit in the bends, but I have rainsport tyres which have silly soft side walls and have quite a bit of rear toe in. A more neutral rear toe alignment and tyre change would go a long way, as would fitting the LSD I have.

I also find the celica easier to work on. The engine bay isnt that much less crowded than an mx5, but the regular maintenance items like oil filters are in a way easier place to get to, jacking the car is way easier and nearly everything is like lego just like an mx5 (but without the rust).

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #509 · (Edited)
Wheels, tyres and brakes sorted on the track car. The clearance is really tight, I had to max the rear camber out and it's literally paper thickness away from rubbing under full compression with the shock removed. I didn't remove the shock on the front to check as I was shot by the end of the day and really didnt want to get into re-doing the front alignment as well. I may have to remove the arch liners front and rear but will see if they rub first as I'd rather not if I can help it.

Brake clearance is also tight, the calipers clear the discs by 0.5mm or so and the lines are really close to the ABS bracket and wishbones but they are in, the wheels clear the calipers with loads of space though. It also now has a set of powdercoated and refurbished sports calipers on the rear rather than OE calipers spaced to use the sports discs. Only issue I have is the tyre shop installed all the tyres the same way around, meaning two of them have the tread in the wrong direction so need to have that sorted next weekend.

I did ceramic coat the wheels but I'm not really sure it's achieved anything. It's good to have the car on the road as it's not been driven in a year now, but my god does it feel slow compared to the celica (3.9 diff and a 5 speed doesnt really help).

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 ·
Looks epic mintex 1155 brake dust has wrecked x2 of wheels.

Yeh, and these are matt finish, it was the reasoning behind the ceramic coat, but it doesnt really appear to have put a layer down/bonded. I applied it as directed and coverage was really good so I duno, maybe it'll be more obvious when I need to wash it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
The black brake dust on mine has rusted brown...looks like kettle scale up on them now. Got most of it off. Mine are the matt black. Not to botherered though.

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 ·
The black brake dust on mine has rusted brown...looks like kettle scale up on them now. Got most of it off. Mine are the matt black. Not to botherered though.

A good wheel cleaner or/and fall out remover should go a long way. The celica wheels were horrible when I got the car but I've managed to get them much better.

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
  • Haha
Reactions: Zed.

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
Spent the weekend completing the annual strip down, clean and greasing of the coilovers on the track car. I also took the opportunity to remove the springs and see what my wheel fitment was like under full compression and redo the alignment. The rears clear ok, at full compression they barely touch the arch lip, you can still fit paper between the tyre but it is touching slightly, I've decided to leave the rears as the tyre still spins freely. The fronts were more of a faff, I've raised the car 15mm at the front which puts me at 0-2mm ish rake and sadly removes some camber. When the steering wheel is turned about 120 degrees under near full compression it does catch. I did get it clear with a 25mm raise but this was too high and would require raising the rear, and I didnt fancy faffing about redoing the rear alignment for the 3rd day in a row so I've left it. I will just have to see if I run into issues at Donnington, given the spring rates and steering angle I'm hoping it is unlikely I'll see a situation where it will actually catch. Fingers crossed.

New alignment specs are
rake - 0-2mm ish
front:
camber -1.7 (maxed, lost -0.4 through the raise)
toe 0
rear:
camber -1.8 (in excess of -3.2 is possible so might have to do something in the front to allow more)
toe 1mm each side

Again the passenger rear is 1.5-2mm toe in, a touch more than I want. It's a proper shit that corner to get right. I'm going to leave it until the NB has gone off for mapping and then check everything over again in my garage which is a little more level than the drive I was doing it on and adjust again if need be.

(did do the fronts as well)

Reactions: Yugen

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #518 ·
Reactions: Zed.

·
5,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #520 ·
I'll have a look for next time. The NB will need coilovers after mapping so would be a good time. I also keep being tempted to upgrade the celica coilovers from the ZetaPros I have to the newer CRDs, I just can't decide if the money is worth it, the Zetas are pretty good, but the front height adjustment is seized and really needs to come up a hair and the CRDs likely have better damping that'd make them more comfortable for street use.

501 - 520 of 548 Posts