Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Thanks Ryan

I've um'd and ar'd about it as it's a chunk of money to finish off but I've kinda gone beyond the turning back point.....

I'll post up pics in the next few weeks
It'll be good to see it all finished. Were PlusFour Engineering a bit too busy to get it done?
Truth be known, I simply took on too much work in an area that I'd not really planned for the company - i.e.doing work on other people's cars. My own fault, as I don't really know when to say "No" :) Tony has been the perfect customer in that regards, and very understanding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Ryan

I've um'd and ar'd about it as it's a chunk of money to finish off but I've kinda gone beyond the turning back point.....

I'll post up pics in the next few weeks
It'll be good to see it all finished. Were PlusFour Engineering a bit too busy to get it done?
Truth be known, I simply took on too much work in an area that I'd not really planned for the company - i.e.doing work on other people's cars. My own fault, as I don't really know when to say "No" :) Tony has been the perfect customer in that regards, and very understanding.
I hadn't been thinking about Mx5s and V8s for awhile, so my memory was refreshed the other day. There's only 24 hours in a day, and only so much work one man can do.

I took my roadster off the road in April, when the MOT ran out, as it needs some welding. I've not had a chance to sort it and I'm moving house in 2 weeks, so it's going into another garage, and I'll have a bona-fide winter project on my hands! Life gets in the way sometimes.

I'm sure we'll all be glad to hear Tony's new engine, when it springs into life. B)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Dropped in to see the car on the way home from work last night.
Mixed news but progress being made!

Perhaps unsurprisingly the chassis legs have rusted so rather than try to patch them up I've decided to fit new ones. It's a relatively good time to do it project wise but now they've taken out the whole front end/drivetrain/axle etc I might take the opportunity to refresh everything we can now easily access! Replace or sandblast and powder coat wishbones, replace bushes etc.
37886836295_9c343a7ac1_k.jpgV8 MX5 pics by Tony Eyles, on Flickr

Other than that it's all good news, they've completed the rear end by fettling and installing the custom prop, they've fabricated a new air intake pipe and hope to have it all running before Christmas.
37886802685_e373d8dc79_b.jpgV8 MX5 pics by Tony Eyles, on Flickr
I need to source a cat back 2.5" exhaust and a couple of ancillaries that got lost between Bromley, Winchester and here, but otherwise it's cracking on

·
Registered
44 Posts
Getting closer..... popped in today to drop off a part and found they'd fabbed more parts :thumb:
They had to delete the ppf to make space to run the exhaust. So they used the opportunity to combine the ppf support with a full rear end brace taking in both rear subframe mounts and two further forward in the floor. Should stiffen things up nicely! :veryhappy:

39172229464_8025b79354_k.jpgMx5 bits by Tony Eyles, on Flickr

The other problem they've had to work around was the clutch operation. The mx5 master cylinder wasn't working, so they replaced that, but despite the new one working properly, they weren't getting enough throw on the slave cylinder to fully disengage the clutch - probably a result of the gearbox adapter plate. The BMW slave cylinder is a larger piston than the original mx5 one but won't fit in the already cramped engine bay!

They solved the issue by making an adapted clutch slave push rod made from two different rods, machined on the lathe then tig welded together. This combined with a plasma cut bracket to hold the slave cylinder to the gearbox gave a matched master and slave cylinder that not only works, but also fits in the engine bay without fouling the engine!

39850555952_74bd07850b_b.jpgMx5 bits by Tony Eyles, on Flickr

39850560332_de37bab061_k.jpgMx5 bits by Tony Eyles, on Flickr

Last few engineering bits to complete then it's finish off the wiring, tune and done..........

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is slightly depressing to see the date of my previous post, but long story short all of the fabrication was completed two years ago and the past 18 months have been wasted on some f*ck-knuckle down here who was employed to write a bespoke map but who systematically failed to deliver plus Covid.

Anyway, having finally thrown my toys out the cot, the car has been transferred to another engineering company who look after my son's track car and it 'should' be ready in the next month or so.........

Having sat outside in the Cornish salt air for much of the last two years I've also asked them to inspect it end to end. It's had new chassis legs and one sill some time ago so hopefully it won't spring too many surprises, but it absolutely needs to be solid before I run the V8 in anger!

Hopefully to be seen at a track day near you by the end of spring.......

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,632 Posts
Wow. Yeah, the last update was before the whole forum fell over and had to begin recuperating. I don't see it as depressing. I see it as inspiring that you didn't give up. More pics and stuff when you have them, pretty please.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow. Yeah, the last update was before the whole forum fell over and had to begin recuperating. I don't see it as depressing. I see it as inspiring that you didn't give up. More pics and stuff when you have them, pretty please.
Thanks Martin

There is an argument that I'm so far into this project that I will do whatever it takes to get across the line now, but my original post on a Nurburgring forum was titled 'Winter project' and dated 2015…!

pics will follow in due course, but most of the mechanical bits are as above......... but you might have to scroll back a few years!

·
Registered
44 Posts
The unicorn lives…….

So this happened today :love:

We had a track day at Perranporth aerodrome booked and we using it as the last outing for the Shitbox Racing Golf before it’s sold, but at lunchtime Si (RK Engineering who have finished off the mapping) suggested we go and pick up the MX5 for some gentle shakedown runs…… first time I’ve driven the car since I dropped it off at Plus4E in 2016….

Excitement was off the scale and it didn’t help that it was raining on and off, but long story short it was mega 😎 although there were traction issues 🤪

The first couple of sessions we took easy as above but by the end if the afternoon it had stopped raining and we were driving it fairly hard and it took pretty much everything (y) There was a slight transmission leak and the prop shaft needs rebalancing but otherwise it ran faultlessly, is going to be bloody quick and sounds great 😁

We have discovered the gearing is a bit short - currently red lines in fifth at 105mph despite running the longest 3.6 MX5 lsd, but it’s fine for the moment. We’ll look at different gearboxes or an M3 3.15 diff in the winter but all in all a great start.……and yes we were black flagged!!

81 - 100 of 108 Posts