Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah - all progressing well. Currently in design phase for a few pieces, which makes pretty boring viewing! Should have an update soon :)
On a different note, how would you describe the handling? I think your PPC article mentioned an extra 85kgs, compared to a standard engine.

It might be a bit subjective, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Honestly? It's about the same as it was before, just heaps more grunt. The 85kgs is predominantly (about 75%) behind the front axle, and any understeer is neutralised by heaps of torque at the rear.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honestly? It's about the same as it was before, just heaps more grunt. The 85kgs is predominantly (about 75%) behind the front axle, and any understeer is neutralised by heaps of torque at the rear.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I was hoping you'd say that, it sounds like so much fun! I really enjoy the responsive steering of my 5 and I wouldn't want to lose it as a result of fitting a bigger engine. I had been considering going down the Mazda V6 route, but I think I'll just wait until your V8 kit is ready.

Have you had any thoughts about fitting ITBs to your 1UZ?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
What I really want is a simple kit in easy-to-fit, easily understandable parts so even a mechanically-retarded muppet like me could fit it :p lol

I can't imagine what 300lb/ft feels like in a 5 - I'm still scared of full throttle in a standard 1.6 as it's my first RWD! :wacko:

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I really want is a simple kit in easy-to-fit, easily understandable parts so even a mechanically-retarded muppet like me could fit it :p lol

I can't imagine what 300lb/ft feels like in a 5 - I'm still scared of full throttle in a standard 1.6 as it's my first RWD! :wacko:
That's what Nick is aiming to produce - one simple kit, one more bespoke.
The simple conversion will connect to the standard MX5 gearbox and will be as 'plug and play' as possible.
The other conversion will require a more substantial gearbox (E36 M3 in mine) so is a more involved job, but consequently you can go for more power or the 4.3l 3uzfe in my case.

My old FM2 had 260lb ft which was interesting in the wet, so 320+ should be hilarious !!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts

The simple conversion will connect to the standard MX5 gearbox and will be as 'plug and play' as possible.
The other conversion will require a more substantial gearbox (E36 M3 in mine) so is a more involved job, but consequently you can go for more power or the 4.3l 3uzfe in my case.

My old FM2 had 260lb ft which was interesting in the wet, so 320+ should be hilarious !!
Nice :)

·
Registered
20 Posts

I'm sure Nick's been busy with work, but how's the project going?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sure Nick's been busy with work, but how's the project going?
The project hasn't really progressed - Nick's workload is making it tricky so we're looking at alternatives to get it finished. One way or another it will be completed by summer!
I thought that might have been the case. Have you got much left to get it running?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought that might have been the case. Have you got much left to get it running?
Most of it but I think the engine is out and the V8 is running on a pallet so most of the work on the wiring loom is done. The diff, carbon propshaft, manifold are all on site and the gearbox is close by so the initial chunky bits can be done, but I will need to resort to Plan B for all the little fiddly jobs to get it finally running. The rest of the car (suspension, brakes, chassis braces, TRLane roll bar) are all done.

Nick is also racing in the Caterham Academy so weekends are tied up, so the original business plan has taken a back seat for a while which is fair enough. It's a slight change of tack but we'll get there in the end!

·
Registered
97 Posts
any word on progress? a 51 plate 141k mile ls430 has come up for sale near me and i'm sorely tempted to go for a v8 swap on my mx5. got any info on things to consider before i go ahead with this? how did you get on with the bmw gearbox? how much more to it is there than the swap of the engine and gearbox?

61 - 80 of 108 Posts