Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Evening all. Some may (or may not) know that about a year ago I put a Lexus 4.0 VVTi V8 into a Mk1. The engine is from a very late LS400, and the most powerful stock lump from the range.

mx400%20engine%20bay%20%28Medium%29.jpg

After a year of running it on track, and subsequently being featured in Practical Performance Car, I've had quite a bit of interest, so am now undertaking another build.

20150730_213807%20%28Medium%29.jpg

This time a Mk2 with a 4.3 3UZ-FE from a GS430. I will be documenting the process with video as I go. More over, this one is to be a road going car, maintaining mod cons and comfort.

bhp140315%20738%20%28Medium%29.jpg

Conscious that I am far from the first to do this over the years, but the intention is to make the process simpler. Donor engine is ready to come out this weekend, and should have the conversion done by October.

Videos will be here: http://PlusFourEngineering.com but here's a taster :)

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,234 Posts
First pic of the thread certainly makes an impact. Subscribed.

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of interest of much do the donors of these engines go for?
You can pick up an early 1UZ for sub £500, and by the time you've flogged a few bits from it and weighed in the shell, you're breaking even. VVTi LS400s (nicer looking engine as well, IMHO - central plenum, nice and symmetrical, as well as VVTi and variable inlet length) up to and around £1k. The GS430 that the 3UZ is coming from was £900 odd.

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On paper, 290BHP and 300lbft, out of the box on stock ECU, but the stock exhaust system is pretty tight, so with aftermarket system and decent inlet set up, easily over 300 of each, the variable timing and inlet makes for a broader curve

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Always good to see DIY V8 projects. Nothing gets close to the sound!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Awesome project! :)

Will be watching with interest

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Great project - are you planning a kit of components to aid the conversion? :D
Yes, that's exactly the plan. However, I'm waiting to hear back from the mx5nutz.com moderators about registering as a trader, as I can't formally peddle any wares.

The plan is also to do other vehicles. Audi TT is sitting outside the workshop ready to be mid engined.... :D

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,234 Posts
Do it!

·
My name is Nick...
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes to the diff, but no to the gearbox. My 4.0 uses a Nissan box, but this time for the 4.3 we'll be trialling a BMW M3 box.

I have plans to make it work with the Mazda 6 speed though, but there are certain challenges around adapter plates owning to the relatively small bell housing compared to the Lexus ring gear.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts