Registered
233 Posts
+1 would a lubricant help

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
Yes, but not for seatbelts.

Early JDM cars have a "comfort" solenoid that holds the belt away from your body. It is quite unnerving and I have disabled mine by pulling a 10A fuse in the fusebox in the driver's footwell.

It shouldn't affect seatbelt operation with the ignition switched off though unless you have a crazy wiring fault. You could try unplugging the solenoid wiring at the relay but I think a good used pair of seatbelts would probably be most effective and safest.

One avenue to pursue might be racers and track day enthusiasts who have ditched their belts for full harnesses. Worth a go in the "Wanted" section on here.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've got a couple of pairs of black belts from a UK spec mk1 if you fancy changing them. Presumably because they are from a UK car they don't have the 'comfort solenoid'.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but not for seatbelts.

Early JDM cars have a "comfort" solenoid that holds the belt away from your body. It is quite unnerving and I have disabled mine by pulling a 10A fuse in the fusebox in the driver's footwell.

It shouldn't affect seatbelt operation with the ignition switched off though unless you have a crazy wiring fault.
You could try unplugging the solenoid wiring at the relay but I think a good used pair of seatbelts would probably be most effective and safest.

One avenue to pursue might be racers and track day enthusiasts who have ditched their belts for full harnesses. Worth a go in the "Wanted" section on here.
[/quote]

Well now that's something that I didn't know and wondered why my belt was slack and then seemed to tighten when the ignition was switched off.
Maybe I should just learn to live with it as I suppose that the belts would work as they should in the unfortunate event of a shunt?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I've got a couple of pairs of black belts from a UK spec mk1 if you fancy changing them. Presumably because they are from a UK car they don't have the 'comfort solenoid'.
If I decide to change mine how much would you want with postage to Kent?
[/quote]

£17.50 posted

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm pleased that this seatbelt issue has come up as I was going to ask the same question. Where is the fuse box in the drivers footwell? I'd like to disable the comfort setting too as has been said above, its quite unnerving.

Cheers
Alex.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Under the dash in the driver's footwell (by your right foot). It's mounted on a bracket on the right hand side, facing out parallel with the line of the doors.

Take the roof down, open the drivers door, pop your head in the footwell and stand on it. That's just about the easiest way of accessing it...

·
Registered
478 Posts
AFAIK that's only for the Seatbelt Buzzer/Warning light on the dash - Nothing to do with the seatbelt itself. When I put my bucket seats in the smaller cable was attached only to the seatbelt stalk, not the column where you'd expect it to be if it did carry out that function.

On a side note, that was the only cable under the seats with a connection - Some genius of a previous owner had decided to cut the connectors out on the headrest speakers and tape them together... /facepalm

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,615 Posts
I unplugged the cables under the seats going to each of the seatbelt stalks to kill the seatbelt buzzer (I got pissed off at being nagged to put my seatbelt on to reverse out of the garage every bloody morning!) and that also disabled the seatbelt relaxers. Much prefer it that way.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
The connectors for the seatbelt relaxers are attached to wiring on the inertia reels. You need to remove the trim panels to access the inertia reels. Pulling the 10A fuse is much easier ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.