Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Found some images on my phone of when the car got delivered, pre wash really shows the "death trap" look it was going for.

24687285918_a3997f94cc_c.jpgMX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

38527931222_3f1fd4b6a6_c.jpgMX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

24687285758_7368a447cc_c.jpgMX-5 NA Day 1 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Last picture you can see the Audi that got sold and will eventually be replaced by the Mazda, some of it's been re-invested into car parts. Up there as one of the worst cars I've owned, I'll never buy an Audi out of warranty again!

Also been in contact with [email protected] Oils regarding what oil I should be running this on, considering it's a tuned N/A engine and not just a standard 1.8 lump. He recommended 5W40 Synthetic, as it has an oil cooler and won't be going on any track days. If however it starts to burn through oil, 10W50 is the next step.

So I've gone for some Motul Sport 5W40, excellent service from the guys at Opie as always.

I'll hold off on updates until there's some more pictures.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Looks rough as in those photos! Nice transformation so far.

Did you change the gearbox with the engine still in the car? If so how did you find it?
I'd forgotten how rough in all honesty.

It's doable, you'll need two of you for some of it ideally.

Make sure you've plenty extension bars etc. for getting to the bolts in position, PPF can be left on but pivoted on most rearward bolt. You'll need a second jack for when putting back in as the engine tilts forward once the box is out and you can't get it back in whilst it'd doing that.Oh and worth doing the rear crankshaft seal and front/rear seal on the box whilst you're in there. Exhaust and manifold might need to come off depending which you have fitted. we cut my manifold to get enough access and replaced with the 4-1.

Would we have been better removing the box and engine? I don't think so for us, we had time to do it this way, engine out would have caused even more issues.

Oh and we had the car up on stands flat, which helped a lot with access, just on ramps....I'm not sure how that would have gone.

Hopefully that helps mate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
How long have you had the S3 Scotty? it looks like my old one. I ended up selling it to a dealer up your way. Its not AR07AGV is it?

Andy

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
How long have you had the S3 Scotty? it looks like my old one. I ended up selling it to a dealer up your way. Its not AR07AGV is it?

Andy
Hi Andy,

I had it 2 and a half years, wasn't yours though, it was RF57.

What a let down it ended up being: new Clutch Assembly/New Flywheel/New Turbo/New Oil Cooler.

Spent a fortune on it and it still wasn't 100%.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Sounds like you got the Friday afternoon special mate! Had mine 7 years and loved it, only sold it cos I couldn't really squeeze the kids seat in it (3 door). Revo remap, fast as fooooooook

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Sounds like you got the Friday afternoon special mate! Had mine 7 years and loved it, only sold it cos I couldn't really squeeze the kids seat in it (3 door). Revo remap, fast as fooooooook
Tell me about it, I'd a revo intake on it and loved the noises it made, but an EML would come on several times a week so it got sold to fund fault finding. Never did manage to do anything else to it, too busy trying to fix it. How's the 5' with a kids seat? :lol:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the gearbox, good to hear from somebody who's done it recently.

I don't fancy taking the engine out just to do the clutch so glad you're agreeing with that. I think my only issue will be getting the car high enough but will just need to chock the axle stands.

Mine also has a leak from the crank seal so that's part of the reason for needing to do it!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks for the tips on the gearbox, good to hear from somebody who's done it recently.

I don't fancy taking the engine out just to do the clutch so glad you're agreeing with that. I think my only issue will be getting the car high enough but will just need to chock the axle stands.

Mine also has a leak from the crank seal so that's part of the reason for needing to do it!
It wasn't easy but removing the engine was going to cause more issues,seemed a simple decision.

Front end up on ramps, rear jacked up onto axle stands, didn't even need to remove any wheels.

If you were closer I'd offer to help, I've got a gearbox front gasket if you need it, don't forget to change the flywheel bearing and box oil.

·
Registered
186 Posts
How's the 5' with a kids seat? :lol:

That's what S4's are for, although the kids love going in the 5, albeit one at a time.

·
Registered
444 Posts

It wasn't easy but removing the engine was going to cause more issues,seemed a simple decision.

Front end up on ramps, rear jacked up onto axle stands, didn't even need to remove any wheels.

If you were closer I'd offer to help, I've got a gearbox front gasket if you need it, don't forget to change the flywheel bearing and box oil.
Yeah to me it seems more work pulling both just to get at the clutch, if doing other things on the engine it makes sense.

No worries, I've had the gearbox on and off my old Glanza a few times... and I still remember the pain! I'm hoping the eunos should be easier with the inline layout!

Just ordered the seals and bearing, didn't realise there was a gasket!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

Yeah to me it seems more work pulling both just to get at the clutch, if doing other things on the engine it makes sense.

No worries, I've had the gearbox on and off my old Glanza a few times... and I still remember the pain! I'm hoping the eunos should be easier with the inline layout!

Just ordered the seals and bearing, didn't realise there was a gasket!
THIS is the gasket I'm on about.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Mocked up the plan in NFS2015 (games mince but good customisation),
- side stripes are matte gold
- wheels are gloss bronze
- sunstrip is matte black

25267817008_b89e2b5e69_c.jpgMX5 PLAN by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Open to opinions? couldn't get bronze side stripes unfortunately
notamused.png

Should add all the bits are bought and waiting to be fitted/applied.

Actual Wheel Colour
36716199602_df1c4bc2f9_n.jpgMX5 29/08/2017 by Scott Reid, on Flickr

·
Registered
689 Posts
All these huge plans for what to complete and barely anything done! :whistle:

Slimline quick release sold and replaced with a standard depth unit, could we get the horn button to fit....no! Nardi horn button ordered.
24600012467_5e9aa39671_c.jpgMX5 NA - Quick Release by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Also started the Randall cowl intake:
38758278694_1078f6b41b_c.jpgMX5 NA - Randall Intake (Started) by Scott Reid, on Flickr

Hole is already drilled in the fire wall, I don't intend to move the washer reservoir at this stage, there dose seem to be enough flex in the 1.8 intake before the MAF to have an almost straight shot though. Whether it'll clash with the engine strut brace or not I'm not sure at present (do these even do anything on a mk1?).

Perhaps the car would be further along if I wasn't modding as I go! but that'd make too much sense.....surely?

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that re-creates my car in Forza to try colours/wheels etc

Found some images on my phone of when the car got delivered, pre wash really shows the "death trap" look it was going for.
I've definitely seen worse out and about :p

Mikeyp @ TMS Motorsport
Email us : [email protected]

TMS Motorsport - Mintex Brake Pads. Road - Track - Race - Online Shop
- We ship worldwide to your door, famous Brands such as -
- AP Racing - ASNU Injectors - HKS - Nitron - Mintex Pads -
- Turbosmart - Exedy Clutches - Deatschwerks - Cosworth -
- Pagid Pads - Japspeed - Direnza - and many more...

·
Registered
310 Posts
That Randall intake doesn't half look good! How much performance gains does it give?

And I've not thought of remaking mine in NFS! Done it on Forza 7 but customisation isn't great, as you say NFS is great for that.
Think I've got a plan for tonight then!

Modding as you go is a necessity surely! You got a rough idea when it'll be on the road?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Glad I'm not the only one that re-creates my car in Forza to try colours/wheels etc

I've definitely seen worse out and about :p
It's the cheapest way to see what will work, at least I hope it'll work. I dread to think if there is worse out there :lol:

That Randall intake doesn't half look good! How much performance gains does it give?

And I've not thought of remaking mine in NFS! Done it on Forza 7 but customisation isn't great, as you say NFS is great for that.
Think I've got a plan for tonight then!

Modding as you go is a necessity surely! You got a rough idea when it'll be on the road?
No discernible gains, but you get the induction noise without heat soak, the area it's drawing air from is a high pressure zone (from the googling I've done). Where its drawing in air, the interior fan inlet is basically just next to it, so it should sound good (hopefully not too loud). Search "Randall Intake Mod" and you'll see plenty folk that have done the same.

Yeah the modding in NFS was the only decent thing it had going, I'll make it in Forza 7 next (Xbox Gamertag: Scotty Dugg)

Aim is to have it on the road as soon as the weather clears up, roughly April.

It's still to get brakes/engine/coolant circuit/front lights and underseal, so a fair amount to go before it's on the road.

NC500 upon completion is still the plan B)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Ahh sounds good. Possible mod for the future on mine maybe haha.
And sounds do-able! At least you've got it inside to do work through the Winter too, horrible working on the driveway this time of year!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
And sounds do-able! At least you've got it inside to do work through the Winter too, horrible working on the driveway this time of year!
I'll let you know once I've tired it out, hats off to you for continuing to work through the winter outside!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'll let you know once I've tired it out, hats off to you for continuing to work through the winter outside!
Thanks haha! We don't get snow in Liverpool really so it's the wind and rain is the worst. I've had to do it to stick to my plan of getting it finished this week!

41 - 60 of 89 Posts