Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flights booked Gixers going north of the border for his summer hols.

Few quick questions though please.

1/ Is there anywhere where the seas warm enough to swim in around Scotland?
2/ Anyone know of anywhere like centre parcs etc where there is good clean accommodation and some sort of entertainment for the kids like slides etc?
3/ Where's best to stay?
The Mrs and me Bro's Mrs have not been to Scotland before, so the usual suspects like Loch Ness, Edinburgh, Dundee etc.
4/ Anyone up for a Scotland meet while i'm up there?

No dates booked yet, but i'm over from the 16th of July till the 5th of August and plan on spending about 1 week up North.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
610 Posts
1. Not really but after a few minutes the pain goes away.

2. There is a place near Pitlochry, my wife has been and enjoyed it. Tummel Valley is the name of the place. Got kids entertainment etc. Only down side the midges might be bad.

I often go to Nairn near Inverness. My parents own a static caravan there and its ace. Lots for the kids to do, kids club, playpark, swimming pool and the beach. (I sometimes go swimming in the sea but its normally freezing)

3. If you stayed at Nairn you are about 15 mins to Inverness and a little more to Loch Ness, about an hour to Aviemore etc. Skye is a about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive but its well worth a trip.

4. Im up for a meet!

If you want to know anything else drop me a line.

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
Hi Mark.
http://www.visitscotland.com/guide/see-and-do/

Swim? You will die.

East Coast. Beaches

Nairn
Montrose
St Cyrus...just a few.
Beaches? We do beaches!
http://www.welcometoscotland.com/article/beaches-of-scotland-guide

Places to go? Where do we start??
Super roads & scenery. Roads to Oban via Tyndrum /Callander
Any West coast road..preferrably to Skye/Ullapool and so on.
Limitless things to see and do in both Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Noted favourites:
Isle of Seil..famous for being the only bridge over the Atlantic

Arran
Oban
Skye
Lothian Borders are stunning too.
Neuks of Fife & Dunfermline...the Abbey is mind blowing. Robert Bruce is buried there...his skull, or cast of...is in a glass case.
The coast roads up from there are dotted with great wee fishing villages ect.
Falkirk (my home town) Visit the Wheel.
http://www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/visit/trip.html
Down the road at Bo'ness the revamped Steam Railway. Kids love it too.

It goes on.

I'll try and set up a Scottish Fivers pubby nearer the time Mark...will exchange details in due course.
If I can get a few guys to give you a pax + 1, perhaps a blast over the famous Dukes Pass from Aberfoyle to Kilmahog. 86 bends in 14 miles. You will have to trust me

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
No, it's that cold you shrink to near nothing but it's an experience, the cold water that is.
Very little in the way of fun parks, kids are usually in the water most days on the wee beach or off the quay outside my hoose, however most use wet suits now.
I'm less than an hour along the coast from Inverness so if you are sight seeing and around my area call by for a cuppa or a dram, pm me nearer the time.
If it's a nice day it's really great up here.

Oh and by the way you will have to wear a kilt at some time, get into the real spirit of Scotland, I'm sure your lovely wife will find it interesting

·
Early Man
3,328 Posts
Linz & I will be up for a meet. Wisely she has asked how old your kids are & where you are flying in to so that you get the best suggestions for places to visit. As above, there's no shortage of nice places, open spaces, culture, history, and fun things for kids

Do heed the advice about avoiding the sea though, and if you plan visiting the west coast anytime between 1st April and 31st March be sure to have a couple of squirty sprays of Avon Skin So Soft to give yourself protection from the midges

·
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like the generation gap is causing a few problems here.

The kids are 2 and 3 and me Bro and his Mrs say the kids love the beach and sea.

I'm 41 and can't see the point of flying to the UK to sit on a beach when i live in Greece

Me Mum and her hubby are going as well and they're both in their 60's.

Me Bro is trying to convince me to go to Cornwell, but like i say there's no point flying over the UK to do the beach thing.
Me Mum wants to go to some holiday resort so the kids are entertained.
Personally i'd sooner have me foreskin pickled off with battery acid than spend a week in a place solid with hyper kids off their faces on ice cream.

Way i see it is, when the kids are old enough to pay for their hols is the day they get a vote on where we go.
But it's really in our best interests to keep em entertained otherwise they'll play up when bored.

So ideally we really want somewhere quiet (for the adults) where the kids can run around and get bolloxed in the fresh air (for the adults and kids), but where there is stuff we can travel to, to keep the adults entertained.

We're looking to either rent out 1 big place, or 3 smaller places as there is 6 adults and 2 kids.

Paul,
Me Mum's side of the family are Watkins and have they're own tartan pattern i think.
Wore a skirt kilt once before and couldn't stop scratching for a week

Fingers crossed i'll have me shorts on all week though

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm trying to think of good places for the kids to play but most of the really cool adventure parks that I was taken to are now closed, but there is a really big Go-Ape in Aberfoyle (in the Trossachs right next to Dukes Pass!) that the kids could go nuts on if they are not too young for it..

There are a couple of theme parks near Glasgow but they are riddled with neds!

I'm finding it hard to think of a good holiday plan that would suit your needs as well as the kids as maybe they are a bit too young to do any real adventure stuff like kayaking or even going up a munro?

But I would really recommend going to the Isle of Arran. It's not like most barren, wind swept Scottish Isles, but is more like a miniature version of Scotland with large mountains, beaches, nice towns and is very easy to get to (a return train ticket from Glasgow takes you straight to the ferry port and onto the ferry for about ?14PP or you could take a car).

·
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys.

Your spot on, the kids are at that funny age where they're not really old enough for most parks and places.
May end up having a hol with the family and just me and the Mrs coming up north.

I'll see what i can sort out next week, some fantastic suggestions though thanks and keep em coming

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Well the best I can suggest is the East Coast of Fife. That way your brother and the kids can do the beach thing, it's relatively quiet, you've got St Andrews etc just down the road. A short hop to Dundee, not too far from Edinburgh. We stayed in a holiday cottage at St Monans last year in the autumn. At that time it was lovely and quiet, there are coastal paths to walk along to other beaches. If you didn't want to to that you could head off on your own to the towns.

The West Coast of Scotland is just beautiful but the midgies will be hell. I've never done the group family holiday thing but it would do my head in. I personally would book seperate accomodation in the same village, I also would rather have pins stuck in me than go on a holiday which is full of screaming kids. With the children being aged 2 and 3 they are not really going to care as long as they have a wee play park and a few beaches to run around in they won't be bothered in the slightest. I would gear the holiday towards what the adults enjoy doing.

Whatever you decide though you'll need to book soon. I've just been checking out a few places and they all seem fairly booked up.

·
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Linz.

Ok we've sorted it we're all coming to Scotland, bro said the kids aren't really bothered about swimming in the sea and if they were they can always visit their uncle in Greece

So had a think and i recon 2 nights in Edinburgh.
We'll drive up day 1 and probably get there around 17:00, that's give us a full day to have a look around the following day.
3rd day drive up to Dundee and have a look around.
Bro fancies doing Ben Nevis and i really like the rear around Lock Lochy.

So i figured 4 or 5 days staying around the Fort William, Loch Lochy, Fort Augusta area.
Seems the closer you get to Loch Ness the more expensive accommodation becomes though.

If we could fine 3 chalets or small cottages next to each other with a field for the kids to play in it'd be perfect.

I'm looking around now for accommodation like that around that area, but what do you locals think, sound like a good idea?

Cheers
Mark

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.