Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after years of wanting my dads car it's finally mine! Shame it had to be in an accident and written off before he would give it to me though! Lol plan is to save it from the scrappy with a new MOT and VIC then Lows, cage and wheels to start

I'm expecting some rust in the cills, it has been welded before i know near the rear wheels, the main problem i have though is that the wheels don't hold air great and dad said apparently never have done, they seem to leak from the valves, even after being replaced

The damage to the front end and the reason it was written off

Today I got around to having a look at the rear of the sills where it has been 'repaired' before :S
I spoke to dad over Christmas who said it was pretty much 'fixed' to pass its MOT (never what you want to hear)

There is new metal there But seems to either have been welded straight to old metal or not have been protected other than stonechip (my money is on it being slapped on over rust and the rust coming through the repair panel already)

After scraping away the underseal I'm faced with this:

So looks like the grinder and welder will be coming out soon, dreading how far that rust might have gone :S

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because of the damage to the front end, Mainly because Insurance assessors arn't allowed to take the car apart he just had to look at it and say well this might be damaged and this etc. so I took the front bumper off expecting to find bent panels and found a nice straight front end

·
I like turtles.
1,481 Posts
Shit almighty! Parts could be found for under £100 not the £1200 it says there!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Cat C requires a VIC (Identity Check by VOSA) and CAT D requires FECK ALL

If it's a CAT C, I'd be sending those pictures to VOSA and asking politely if they could reconsider changing it to a CAT D, and use supporting print outs of second hand parts adverts to support the fact that you don't need to spend much to fix it, and are unlikely to be stealing a similar car and ringing it. (The reason why VOSA do the VIC.

Remember that VOSA have a FREE help line, so if you need any clarification, just phone them.

I once phoned them as I bought a car for £40 off a bloke who had been paid out £700 by a third party insurer, and told to keep the car, to find out if it was Cat D or C, and it turned out to be not on the database at all. One second hand door and some paint and it was like second hand.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the Info, I will give them a ring once the new V5 comes through in my name.
sounds like the ideal scenario for you there!

Dad said it was cat C and he does work in insurance so got to talk to one of the assessors who basically said the passenger side of the car measured slightly shorter than the drivers side (not sure where he was measuring from or too) but it wasn't much, enough to be panels moving on their bolt holes.

The estimate also includes a new bonnet which as you can see has no damage to it :S I think sending them some documentation and pictures would be a good idea, would save me £40 if nothing else! lol

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had some fun with my grinder and cutting disk after work today which had me looking at this

the patch was joined to the rusted remains of the sill, inner sill doesn't look great either

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice, it's a bit stupid tbh, I know they are checking for ringers but on the most part you're not going to reshell for a small knock and if an MOT is good enough for every non written off car to be on the road then that should be enough

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the longer I spend on the car them more rot I uncover :S

out comes the grinder and drill

which led to this

as some of you may have noticed I have also cut the whole corner off as there was so much rot :S
Oh well, the best treatment is to cut it all out and replace with new so it's going to get worse before it gets better

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.