Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hullo all,

I have been looking at the Salon Motorsport M45 supercharger kit for about six months but was waiting for a twin throttle body kit to become available. However, after studying photographs of other builds I convinced myself that the likelihood of such a setup fitting with ABS was low so I took the plunge.

I opted to buy from Bofi Racing rather than direct because of reduced postage costs, a 5% discount from subscribing and a belt being included in the kit. This brought the total down to just under £800 delivered. The kit was ordered Friday afternoon and arrived today (Thursday) morning.

bmFbuZg.jpg

Initial impressions were good with the parts well packed.

Hv4FJ0A.jpg

The outlet manifold is a nice casting with no flash. The mounting face is linished rather than milled but is flat. The surface finish seems reasonable but I will clean it on a surface plate with wet and dry.

N9OgpvU.jpg

The four mounting holes are drilled but not spot faced. The finish in the bores suggest that the casting has not been heat treated because the drill has torn rather than cut the metal. I don't think this will be an issue.

NVRlfqq.jpg

MebHnPj.jpg

Quite surprising was the unmachined mounting face for the recirculation valve. I did check that this was correct and not a missed operation but apparently this is right and the o-ring will seal directly onto the cast face. While I am sure that with a liberal amount of RTV it would work it does not sit right with me and I will have the face skimmed. The three mounting holes are drilled through and align well.

iH1P0YG.jpg

I cannot comment yet on the fit with the supercharger because the front mounting bracket needs to be removed.

AZrQP3C.jpg

The valve shown is a standard one but the fitting for the hose had broken so I cut it off and drilled and taped it to accept the pneumatic fitting shown.

iteq6gf.jpg

The inlet manifold is again a nice casting with a milled register to locate onto the supercharger. The fit is very good and should seal perfectly with a small amount of RTV or similar.

i3kEdNv.jpg

The blanking plate fits very well and is high quality.

91qThEo.jpg

I9zinSW.jpg

The mounting brackets are impressive. The welding is very neat and the overall finish is good. It fits the supercharger pretty well although a small amount of material needs to be removed around the rear mount.

CyqNHcC.jpg

The fastener supplied for the front mount is not quite long enough personally I am not a fan of the use of washers to align the supercharger, but again I cannot fault it for functionality.
The fastener pack is good quality and complete.

Finally the belt is a different length to those specified on the Bofi website (1260 for PAS and 1345 for PAS & Aircon) so I will confirm that this is correct.
In conclusion I am happy with the kit and based on what I have seen would recommend it for the price. Fundamentally the kit is an excellent starting point needing little work to make perfect. My only real gripe is the unfinished sealing face for the valve.

I struggled to find much information online before buying so hopefully this is helpful.

I am aiming to get this built up and on the car in the next few months. The base is a low mileage 1999 1.8 iS which has had a pretty serious restoration carried out. The plan is to run the kit without an intercooler with standard pulley sizes with management controlled by an ME221 and see how it goes from there.

James

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thanks for the info, looking forward to hearing about the installation. Why, no intercooler from the get go?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is my daily driver so I need to keep it running at all times! Current thinking is to put a pod directly onto the throttle body with an IAT so I can build up the hot side with second throttle body and pipework etc over a couple of weekends. A simple link pipe gets it supercharged quickly with potential to develop the car further if I feel the need for more later on. It also helps keep costs down.

James

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sub me up!

Couple of disapointing bits to on your report here, I wouldn't have expected to have to trim metal off...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The weekend is here and the sun is shining so I got cracking with the build.

First off was the exhaust heat shield. I was pretty happy about only shearing one of the bolts, the rest came out without any fight. With that out of the way I was able to fit the upper mounting bracket.

dz4Wq5g.jpg

This picks up on the lifting eye boss and one of the exhaust studs.

Pr0stNz.jpg

The stud is a little on the short side so will be replaced.

OtsUnED.jpg

This makes me very happy!

zN5SQ3W.jpg

FxwYAzr.jpg

BZ4LUUy.jpg

As did this! That is a 1.8 NB throttle body and it looks very much like it will fit with the ABS. I don't think the air con switch will be much of an issue and can be bent out of the way if required. If anyone has a DXF or a drawing of the mounting flange it would be very helpful. If not I will put one together so I can get a flange laser cut and welded onto the inlet manifold.

5wX2OnQ.jpg

Back in the garage and the mount has been removed from the supercharger.

2CyLt4s.jpg

I have cleaned up the return valve face with a file and finished it with some 240 grit on a steel block. It just had to be taken slow and a straight edge placed over it regularly to ensure it was being kept flat.

Mj5w1Dc.jpg

The mating face of the manifold was also cleaned up on a sheet of 240 grit. It was reasonably bowed and I wasn't happy with the linished surface finish. This is much better.

More to follow soon.

James

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never had to trim anything, and the bypass boss was machined, perhaps Savoy sold rejects into a third party?
That's interesting, I hope that isn't the case but who knows. So far none of the problem areas have taken too much work to sort out so I am not unhappy overall.

James

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like dadbif I never had to do any cleaning up on my parts, I had one of the first Mk 2 bracket sets. Mounting face for recirc valve was machined . The only fitting issue I had was the support strap at the front of the S/C. This fouled on the weld of the pulley adjustment screw. ( I am currently running without it and plan to redesign it ), I have mounted my TB on a flange like you are now planning. I found I needed to take 20mm off the inlet casting to be able to a 90 silicone elbow to clear the ABS. I put up some pictures on a thread some time ago. I am also running my TB with horizontal not vertical spindle. Beware of IAC valve on TB, tight clearance. Good Luck.

·
layabout
2,264 Posts
I have cleaned up the return valve face with a file and finished it with some 240 grit on a steel block.

The mating face of the manifold was also cleaned up on a sheet of 240 grit. It was reasonably bowed and I wasn't happy with the linished surface finish. This is much better.

More to follow soon.

James
thats not confidence inspiring, youve paid for something that I would have expected as ready to fit :eek:

I'd have either done the same or, had it machined (I've some machine-tools so not a problem to me)

as to the drilled holes 'finish' I'd be wondering about the metal quality as its not an alloy more of a near pure or soft aluminium - I wouldnt blame it on heat-treatment more on cheapest :blink: (stuffed with profit?)

a shame as it looks like a nice kit :(

I have an m45 in my workshop but convinced to make my own adaptors

Rich.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think I might contact Salon directly and see what they have to say regarding the quality issues.

Zed. - you may be right about the material just being low grade, I have had LM25 castings before that have missed their heat treatment and they machined up a lot like these. Soft is soft I guess!

JohnH20 - thank you for the heads up on the support bracket. I managed to dig out your photos from an old post showing the modified inlet. Did you happen to make any drawings for the plate? I am planning to run the pre-charged body blanked off with idle control taken care of on the inlet manifold body so hopefully won't have too much trouble with clearance in that department.

WBxIeA4.jpg

BOXeZHR.jpg

Thanks

James

·
Registered
995 Posts
I left the IAC valve in the original position on a dummy TB, then fitted a blanking plate on the TB pre charger.
On the subject of quality, I note that the mounting bolt faces on your castings are still rough cast, mine had all been spot faced.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi Metroman, for the plate I just scribed round the TB flange and spotted the mounting holes with a punch. Correction to my previous post it is the TPS ( not fitted in pic ) that is the critical clearance not the IAC.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Subscribed, i've been flitting between itb, turbo and SC every week and can't make my mind up. Very attracted to a basic SC install like this as I am not after big power, just want a bit more shove and keeping a sharp throttle response.

One this that put me off SC is all the talk of messing around with tb's and idle droop etc, am I worrying necessarily? I assume you should be ok with just the single pre-charger TB with a cross over pipe because the IAC should be able to cope with the relatively post-tb air volume?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for leaving this so long but progress hasn't been especially quick.

After my last post I contacted both Bofi and Salon about the quality issues I have found with my kit and also to confirm if the belt length supplied was correct. I have not had a reply from either party which has somewhat changed my outlook on the situation. I am less than impressed.

Complaints aside I have managed to push on and do the following:

I am not a fan of large amounts of silicon hoses under an engine bay so have decided to try and make the bypass return from tube. I had to go with stainless because nice pre-bent tube is hard to come by for a sensible price in mild. I am using 201 grade 38mm x 1.5mm bends and 304 straight pipe with plain steel welding wire in the mig. The welds will rust so the pipes will need to be painted before fitting. I ground the welds back with a flap disc on the grinder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38MM-1-1-2-1-5-OD-Sanitary-Weld-Elbow-Pipe-Fitting-90-Degree-SUS-SS304-CL-UK/282944440682?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I am not 100% on the design and need to do a trial fit in the car before I go any further.

85qrZ3T.jpg

yyxgUTM.jpg

Silicon hoses are MUCH cheaper if bought straight from China which has also held up the build a bit. I have gone with Norma hose clamps. If it is any use the hose is 63mm for the boost side and 38mm for the return. I have used 3 47-51mm clamps for the return and 1 51-55mm for the return valve. The boost side needed 3 68-73mm and 1 73-79mm clamps.

I then got distracted by a freak accident with my passenger seat... I had left the top down and the passenger visor down which did an excellent job of turning the winter sun into a frickn' laser beam that burnt a lovely line through my otherwise immaculate seat and burnt up the door card!

GVcR4X9.jpg

eF7bmrf.jpg

Given that otherwise the car is pretty much immaculate this didn't sit well. I had been toying with the idea of new seats for a while, the standard seats aren't that comfortable and I do 70+ miles a day. With that in mind I was unable to resist a pair of 996 Porsche seats on Gumtree for £160. They are all singing and dancing electric everything but luckily it is all in a separate runner system that unbolts. Some angle iron adapters attached the seat frame to the MX5 runners and all I had to sort electricity wise was the tilt. The are about the same height as the standard seats but have significantly better side and lumbar support. Weight is about the same.

47gRKIJ.jpg

CCWvofM.jpg

This weekend I tackled the throttle body mount. I started with some 1" ally plate wombled from a skip and attacked it with a jig saw.

UnZu7qY.jpg

The finish was passable at best from the saw so I went for it with the files.

CvasDdj.jpg

OEiqoT3.jpg

LfBTcNZ.jpg

Then onto the drill press...

Z6VSIhU.jpg

I was then able to bolt it to the throttle body and scribe around the bore so I could find the centre.

rni6FwK.jpg

And finally onto the Super 7.

cCXtE3R.jpg

66Wsinw.jpg

z8hJWIq.jpg

I left a small register in the bore and filed away the raised part of the casting on the inlet and got it round.

LZZnwlJ.jpg

Allowing it to fit together like so:

k5qAQPM.jpg

mkxWk1q.jpg

Next up will be a throttle cable bracket and, if the weather sorts itself out, another trial fit on the car. I am planning on using an epoxy for the flange as I cannot TIG weld.

Thanks

James

·
layabout
2,264 Posts
I started with some 1" ally plate wombled from a skip
I need to find that skip :yes:

also, using a jig-saw is cheating, last time I cut 1" dural I did 'keep-fit' and used a hacksaw - that was with a 2' x 2' piece sticking out of a bench-vice & it was fun :whistle:

Rich.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Wow... complete lack of after sales support... really put me off from buying this kit!!!!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Good thread, good write up. Keep it going.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the positive feedback.

Zed - the skip was behind a engineering firm in Wales that made aircraft production line parts. A friend worked there so we had free reign. It was an epic skip!

Rocky eunos - it is a real shame because I still think it's the best looking new kit on the market. In retrospect I would probably have held out for a used Jackson Racing kit, tried and tested and of a known quality.

More progress today. The weather had improved which was great, trial fit 2 was able to take place.

As soon as the blower was fitted I welded a 90 bend onto the tube. These are eBay specials again, the only issue with the larger bends was the 1mm wall. In the end it didn't matter, I just turned down the amps a click and aimed at the thicker (1.5mm) tube with the torch.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-2Inch-201-Stainless-Steel-90-Degree-Bend-63-51mm-Elbow-Exhaust-Pipe-Nice-AL/264080268906?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=563630635062&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

gLR8kKN.jpg

With that mocked up I was able to confirm the length of the cross-over pipe and weld on the second elbow.

UITPSgm.jpg

A series of additional fit, measure, cut and weld steps followed and I ended up with this.

xFAXW1F.jpg

3DtuFdW.jpg

yrSw9IB.jpg

Having the setup under the bonnet again meant I could confirm the layout of the bypass pipe as well.

nXy8uEw.jpg

And ground back. I also turned up a little bung for the IAT and welded that into the cross-over pipe. With that complete and the welds dressed back I did a very basic check of leaks by filling the pipes with water. There were a couple of pin holes which were welded and dressed before paint.

qCiDFjp.jpg

I went with VHT Wrinkle Plus. Expensive, not forgiving but a good product if care and time is taken. I just need to leave the parts for a week to cure!

CB9yaC0.jpg

S6kEj8b.jpg

The end is in site now. Hopefully all that is left is
- Throttle cable
- IAT wiring
- Air filter and pipework
- Fit front bracket
- Hope that Bofi sent the correct length belt, if anyone can confirm that I would be most grateful. My car has air-con and PAS.

Thanks

James

1 - 20 of 76 Posts