Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this query on another thread but didn't quite get the info I was hoping for.
The position is that when I acquire my first MX5 (hopefully in about 3-4 weeks time, and probably a Mk2) it will be garaged for periods of up to 2 months, every other 2 months (if that makes sense!), whilst I am out of the country. So, for a total of 6 months of each year the car will be laid-up under covers in a dry garage.
Can anyone advise me what sort of precautions they would take in order to be able to jump pretty well straight into the vehicle after being away for 8 weeks or so and have no problems - either short or long-term?
I'm thinking particularly of the pros and cons of disconnecting the battery; fitting some kind of 'memory minder' to protect any electronic codes (of which I know less than stuff-all!!); or perhaps fitting an Optimiser.
Anything else you can think of will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Handbrake off and connect a smart trickle charger. Previously when I was doing a lot of offroad 4x4 stuff, we used to inflate the tyres up a bit during storage then reduce back to correct pressures when driving

Kev

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regarding AndyMk2s posting, above, ... what is the situation vis a vis original equipment ICE provision on the Mk2? Did the Mk2 OE radio spec change over time (and thereby explain the uncertainty about the problem of stereo security codes)?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Strewth, that's what I call 'information'!! Thanks a million, AndyMk2.
Agree with the above, particularly inflating the tyres, I would say to 35 p.s.i. This will prevent flat spots forming. Fill the petrol tank too, less air space means less condensation, less water in the petrol. If it is possible, I would have someone press the brake and clutch pedals a couple of times, say once a week to prevent the seals sticking.
Regards Geoff Peace.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've regularly left a car for 6 months at a time. It's just as the others say - handbrake off, out of gear, tyres pumped up, tricker charger.

Personally, I would not cover it as covers can trap moisture and make the car too tempting to others who then tend to sit things on it...

Some people advocate starting the engine every month or so to move some oil back up to the head, but I've never bothered with that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
............. a few weeks later, and now the proud owner of a basic Mk 2 NB Cabriolet. Don't yet have a manual for the vehicle, and it is all too clear from studying this site that as far as car electronics systems are concerned it would not be difficult for a lack of knowledge to result in an expensive cock-up! With that in mind, can I begin with a really basic question (and no laughing at the back, please!!).
I plan to buy a smart trickle charger for use during the two-month periods when I am abroad, and intend to fit one of those permanent, fused connection leads to the battery. Do I need to disconnect the battery before conecting the permanent lead terminals to the battery terminals and, if so, are there any consequences resulting from battery disconnection in the NB MX 5? The radio doesn't have a code to lose, but I am unsure about all the other gubbins.
Thanks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
technically you dont need to disconnect the battery as the connectors from the charger hopefully come with ring terminals which simply go on the battery terminal bolts and are secured by the nut that secures the bolt.
so, just loosen and remove the nut, slip the connector on, put a small washer on next then the nut. tighten up and alls well.
whilst doing this job, its worthwhile checking the battery connections for corrosion and smearing a bit of vaseline around them. also, make sure they battery ventilation breather tubes are in place and run to the external vent. (not sure if these are fitted on a mk2.

kev

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
........... another few weeks later. Accumate smart charger purchased, connected up, all the correct lights twinkling ....... sorted!! Even read the instructions (well, most of them, anyway!!). Many thanks, gents.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.