1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
wow that rx9 is gorgeous

·
Registered
694 Posts
What are the emission laws out of interest? It is a CO2 per cc of engine size? Surely an RX8 does not put out more emissions than other sportscars or supercars.

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
BS. There allready is a Renesis Hybrid enine. I m sure they manage to make it meet the Euro5.
The article stunk. The rx8 is going, because they couldn't possibly stick in another engine? I reckon people would buy the rx8 if they scrapped the rotary entirely. Myself, i scan the adds now n again in the hope of finding an rx7 that don't have a rotary in it. I don't care what, just not a rotary. Owning the later rx8 with the v6 (if there was one) would be top dog down the pub where everyone knows the rx8 was the fastest depreciating car last year due to that daft guttless wankle.

note: the rotary is probably fine in a 5. Like a bike engine or two is fine in a smart. I bet the rex is 50% heavyer though.

·
Registered
458 Posts
These emissions laws (which are a load of bollocks if you ask me) are part of the reason why in the UK we get some cars watered down, the best example of this being the Civic Type-R - apparently we don't get the 220 bhp K20 here because it wouldn't pass european emissions laws, so we get the nice watered down 198 bhp version instead.

And I don't know how many have noticed that we are well down the road to losing many sporty normally aspirated cars, as manufacturers favour small turbocharged lumps which pass emissions laws much more easily, as well as having better fuel economy and torque, but sounding as bland as you like... these are better engines on paper, but they lack the throttle response and soundtrack of a good NA engine, and I for one am slightly sad to see manufacturers all choosing to go down this route - because personally for me, NA engines are much nicer to drive than a lot of FI'd engines, and are quite often less compromised too - try really thrashing a lot of FI'd hot hatches on a country road, and watch as they lose power through heatsoak thanks to having pathetically small intercoolers! Try adjusting the cars attitude on a corner with the throttle... that's right, you can't, or if you can, the result is often clumsy and heavy handed. Oh, and there's more to go wrong with a turbo!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts