Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has some bits of rust under the bonnet, wheel arches and under the car.. its just surface rust and has been parked near the sea so im guessing thats why it has rusted. Any advice?

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
Get it sorted as soon as you can, otherwise it'll just spread.

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Wheel arches are the most concerning usually - depending on exactly how much and where on the other sections.

If you do it go for quality and a well recommended body shop.

Recommendations are key on that for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel arches are the most concerning usually - depending on exactly how much and where on the other sections.

If you do it go for quality and a well recommended body shop.

Recommendations are key on that for me.
Theres abit under the bonnet and at the bottom inside the wheel arches at the back. Also abit on the toe ring at the front of the car

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Sounds not as bad as I first thought. What do you mean by toe ring, you mean the tie down hook I think - nothing to worry about.

The bit under the bonnet and the wheel arch on a younger car like yours can probably be held at bay with a little cheap attention for some time.
I know what I would do (I used to run a couple of old fiat panda 4x4's so rust is something i have faced
)but others on here know more about the right way to do paint and rust so maybe they can advise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds not as bad as I first thought. What do you mean by toe ring, you mean the tie down hook I think - nothing to worry about.

The bit under the bonnet and the wheel arch on a younger car like yours can probably be held at bay with a little cheap attention for some time.
I know what I would do (I used to run a couple of old fiat panda 4x4's so rust is something i have faced
)but others on here know more about the right way to do paint and rust so maybe they can advise.
I took it to the mazda garage today as i had to pick up some paint, they said it wasnt anything serious just abit of surface rust, advised me to use a stiff brush and then wd40 which is what i thought they would say.

·
Registered
157 Posts
until recently I had a 99 with sills starting to go. think that in time the nbs will be worse than the na's but thats just my hunch.

get some bilt hamber dynax in those sills, comes with a long spray tube easy peasy, buy off net
bonnet is aluminum so wont rust but I dont know much about oxidisation, perhaps check out lotus web-site?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.