Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOT Jan 2009 the car failed on a rusty sill.

Mazda (who did the MOT) told me because the rust was within a certain distance of the seat belt bolt it needed sorting...

They agreed to pass it to their 'approved' repairer/bodyshop to sort, I paid ?250, rust was sorted and they passed the car.

Around 8 months later I noticed a few bubbles under the paint...

Took it back to Mazda who arranged for me to take the car back to their 'approved' company to sort it again.

Well just noticed today the bubbling has come back

My MOT in Jan 2010 was done by a 'friend' and whilst he mentioned a few things rust wasn't one of them.

So my question is how long should a repaired sill last?? If the job was done properly??

Would I be within my rights to (reluctantly) go back to Mazda to sort once again?

Or should I just give in, and try and tackle the job myself before winter? (having never done anything like this before)

Will get a pic up shortly.

Any advice appreciated, cheers guys

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
I know what you mean. I hate going back to somewhere whats done a shoddy job. Usually they try and blaime somebody else, happens to me a lot and I work with kids and they always want to blame someone else too. So I'm not getting used to it. I'd probably just cut your loses and try and sort it yourself. If its been back twice. If had been within a month or so I would have taken it straight back. Some may disagree and say take it back which you could do if you want. Or take it back to mazda and say you don't want it to go to their approved people say you will take it somewhere you want it to and expect them to pay for it?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Its just getting frustrating the rust coming back a second time.

So even though its been a over a year since the original repair you think I could go back to them and complain?

I didn't ask and they didn't mentioned any guarantees for the work etc, surely a decent repair would last longer than a few months?

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
I had mine welded about three years ago

My sill a couple of years ago after a coat of hammerite

My sill last week

I've ground it all down with a wire brush attachment on my drill and it all seems to be surface rust. (thankfully!)

Was a crap welding job, it all messy and just had a thick smearing of stone chip paint to cover the crap welding.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
My track car had a ?100 repair to the sill and 3 yrs later its just starting to show signs of rust.

The problem is that they rust from the inside out.

I'd suggest if it lasted 8 months that they filled it rather than welded it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
inevitably a bodge. the rust will reach further than you imagine, im afraid to say. If you have the time do it yourself as it will always be cost/time based in a garage. This is mine, with limited experience, basic tools e.g. a hobby vice! tiny garage and my trusty old clarke 135t mig which is a bit so-so (cant resist posting a few pics now i know how!):-

hmm all looks fine

startting to go on the edge perhaps

ok perhaps bit grotty in there

eek

it went further than i was prepared to go along sill towards front of car

bit of a hole

hang on whats this?

gulp

view of half of hole from inside

nice hole eh

bish bash bosh a month or so later, 11 pieces of metal cut shaped and welded and lots of paint (naturally not quite matching)

you shouldn't get that for less than £400ish me thinks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.