Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m in the process of attempting the install of an ME221 ECU and AEM wideband gauge. I have a 1992 s-special 1.6 eunos equipped with air con. I was expecting some useful grommets for the routing of wires and the map line near the washer bottle - per the me221 install instructions and picture below. However, i appear to be missing a spare hole, with 🙁 can anyone advise on an alternative routing? Thanks!

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,913 Posts
You could go up along the PPF and through the shifter turret hole?

·
layabout
2,259 Posts
You could go up along the PPF and through the shifter turret hole?

OR, theres a gromet / pipe stub through the tunnel on the passanger side that is used for ac condensate drain (when fitted) easily accessed (y)

Rich.

·
4,913 Posts
OR, theres a gromet / pipe stub through the tunnel on the passanger side that is used for ac condensate drain (when fitted) easily accessed (y)

Rich.
Which might not be usable considering the OP cant use normal firewall AC grommet due to having AC, lol.

There is also a grommet behind the passenger (?) seat which people typically use for hydro handbrake lines that could be used too.

Reactions: Zed.

·
4,913 Posts
Do what Mazda did - drill a suitable size hole where you want the cable and pipe to enter the cabin, fit a grommet, and Bob's yer uncle.
bUt aPpReCiAtInG ClAsSiC, oRiGiNaL PaInT, pUrItY
(no disrespect aimed at the op, just for the lols)

Reactions: Low Ender and Zed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the suggestions, I think I may utilise the air con drain grommet, for the wideband o2 sensor, if it will fit with the drain tube insitu. As you can see from the exterior photos, she is quite pretty 😍
but I may well have psyche myself up to drill a hole in firewall, hurting the classic, very-much-appreciated original paint 😣😉 - In order to route the MAP line, wideband output and ground. I will check in with Motorsport Electronics as they must have encountered a car with my setup.

Reactions: Zed.

·
4,913 Posts
Let us know what you come up with. I need to do the same on a mk2 with AC and am also reluctant to drill holes, partly as there's so much sound proofing behind a lot of the firewall (including rubber sheet) actually feeding a wire could be very difficult.

·
4,913 Posts
Small update. I've added mine now. I ended up using the grommet hole on the drivers side just under the brake booster. You can push it through, then down and to the door side behind the sound proofing to get it to join the OE harness. The cable goes from the sensor under the transmission, up the side to join to the transmission harness, along up the fuel rail/alternator harness, to the fuse box, into the cabin, then joins with the OE harness to cross under the steering wheel and to the centre of the car for the AFR controller. It's a good route as it sticks to OE harness routing, avoids any moving parts, keeps the sensor cable from being pulled at an angle etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts