Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Drifts in Flip Flops yo!!!!
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 point Carbing that I'll be fitting soon and I'm intending on putting some padding in strategic areas incase the worst should happen!

Is there anything I need to know about padding or will any old cheap ebay stuff be fine????

Also has anyone padded their door bars on a carbing? I know space is tight but I'd quite like a bit of something there!

I know there's a lot of folk on here that race/track their 5's that are bound to know more than I on this subject! Any help, advice or recomendations gratefully accepted.

D.

·
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alot of people use the grey style pipe lagging/insulation, real cheap stuff just measure you tube size and you can get a wide range of sizes from say b&q

·
少し ロバ
1,990 Posts
Those FIA approved stuff only work with helmets, not designed to be hit by unprotected heads. I use some 180 degree padding sold by JJC Race and Ralley.
Great advice.

I use the 180 degree padding from demon tweeks 2 lengths was enough to cover the main areas close to the drivers and passengers heads.

Personally I'd not use pipe lagging as it's not really fit for purpose, it's not as though the proper stuff is that expensive is it?

·
Registered
956 Posts
this is mine to stop helmet banging the bars, from the race and rally place mentioned above

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Yeah boi, hardcore raw cage for the win! And to crack your bonce on. Pipe lagging, you may aswell put a microfibre pillow on it, nowhere near dense enough to absorb the energy of your noggin smashing into it, slowing it down so it doesn't just smash into the bar

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
It's all about having the seats far enough away from the roll bar (only works with bars rather than cages) to not have to worry about padding. If I hit my head, or arm on my roll bar, i've got more to worry about than the damage the contact will do. For my head to hit it, i'd have to come out of my seat, and get my head wedged between the hardtop and seat, about half a foot behind where the seat actually is...

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
That's my main concern and why I havnt fitted my roll bar yet as I'm 6ft2 and have to have my seat fully back my head would be right next to it and is too high to offer any protection if in a roll. Even if I change to a proper seat its still not going to be any good, just trying to get some brave pills to cut out the floor and lower it....

·
Spinning around
3,553 Posts
It's all about having the seats far enough away from the roll bar (only works with bars rather than cages) to not have to worry about padding. If I hit my head, or arm on my roll bar, i've got more to worry about than the damage the contact will do. For my head to hit it, i'd have to come out of my seat, and get my head wedged between the hardtop and seat, about half a foot behind where the seat actually is...
Same for me. If my head manages to makes contact with my roll bar I'll already be in a world of trouble!

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
alot of people use the grey style pipe lagging/insulation, real cheap stuff just measure you tube size and you can get a wide range of sizes from say b&q
Ugh, what a terrible idea.

Wrap some around a baseball bat and ask someone to hit you with it, then you'll see how effective pipe insulation is as an energy absorber.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Ugh, what a terrible idea.

Wrap some around a baseball bat and ask someone to hit you with it, then you'll see how effective pipe insulation is as an energy absorber.
[/quote]

I can't exactly see the outcome of that being particularly pretty regardless of what padding you use, and that includes the proper stuff.

·
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So don't use pipe lagging unless you want to hit someone with a baseball bat, but that would be tack and a raw open bat would look better?

......I'm glad we got that cleared up!

So the JJC stuff seems to be popular, and is also fire retardant.

this is mine to stop helmet banging the bars, from the race and rally place mentioned above

Nice! Thats the same as my cage but looks like you have a seperate harness bar..... Is that the offset hole padding? and how much did you buy to do that? 3 meters? Also, do you reckon that padding would fit on the door bars? (I still have standard seats at the mo Buckets and harness to come in the future)

Thanks all for your contributions so far!

D.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.