Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but doesn't anybody know where I can get a gasket for this rocker cover? Or what the part number is? I believe it's from a Mazda 323, Protege, etc etc (was already on the car when I bought it). My current one seems to be leaking, but there are quite a few different gaskets online so I'm not sure which one I need. TIA
Hood Purple Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Electronic instrument Office equipment Font Wood Musical instrument accessory

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,703 Posts
That's 1.6 and you should, I think, just be able to use a standard NA / MK1 1.6 cam cover gasket.

Think about it - the cam cover has to still match the actual head of the engine., whether it's the original mazda one or the ford/protege one..

Don't forget to put some RTV in the corners around the CAS and CAM Gear arches.

Also .. just try snugging down the bolts. you'd be surprised by how often they just aren't nipped up far enough.

Reactions: Yugen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's 1.6 and you should, I think, just be able to use a standard NA / MK1 1.6 cam cover gasket.

Think about it - the cam cover has to still match the actual head of the engine., whether it's the original mazda one or the ford/protege one..

Don't forget to put some RTV in the corners around the CAS and CAM Gear arches.

Also .. just try snugging down the bolts. you'd be surprised by how often they just aren't nipped up far enough.
It's a 1.8 :) So do I just get a standard 1.8 MX5 gasket? Sometimes they sit in the rocker cover differently, and I don't have the standard one to compare it to...So wasn't sure if an MX5 one would work.

I'm pretty sure the bolts are nice and tight, but I will double check them at some point.

·
layabout
2,676 Posts
do I just get a standard 1.8 MX5 gasket?
or order a Mazda 323 (gtx turbo 4x4 1993ish?) 1.8L camcover gasket?

I'm pretty sure the bolts are nice and tight, but I will double check them at some point.
beware of overtightening as they can snap easily 🥴

Rich.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,703 Posts
Gosh, it is a 1.8 I must be going blind. All the K20 Kpro tuning.

definitely don't go hard on those bolts, they're small, but check they're not actually loose :)

Reactions: Zed.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts