Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking... I've got the JDM split visors in my Mk1 at the moment, which are fine, but has anyone made sunvisors out of green tinted perspex, like Cobras often seem to have? I was thinking that you could make them just the right size for your eye line in the car and if ncessary you can actually see through them... and they've got a nice retro look.

Not sure how you would fix them: the fixings on this Cobra don't look suitable for an MX5, but maybe you could either butcher a knackered pair of original MX5 visors and attach the frame somehow, or make something up to fit to the original mounting points.

Ready-made Cobra ones are a bit pricey - Europa charges £67 + £48 for the hinges and extra for screws https://www.europaspares.com/product/0/13645/Cobra_Sun_Visors.html , but I looked on eBay and you can get a 297x420x5mm piece green tinted perspex for £9 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320601278016?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 so it should be possibe to do something at a reasonable cost. Anyone stripped an MX5 visor to see what the visor frame looks like?

OK, this one isn't green, but you get the idea:

·
You're free to do what we tell you .
1,715 Posts
Cool idea , your local glazier would be able to cut you some perspex to fit for not a lot of money although possibly they won't have tinted stuff , failing that there's online places that will do it .

Keep us updated .

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... anyone have a stripped-down sunvisor they could post a pic of to see what it's like?

·
Registered
657 Posts
sounds like a good idea and looks very do-able if you painted the stock hinge as its likely to be slightly rusty as its un treated mild steel. the gap between the flat bits of metal is approx 3mm so should be able to take the acrylic in between.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Might have a go at this, got some old sunvisors and got some acrylic. Now just need to find the time!!!!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, thanks Mikey-p; just what I was after!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks interesting.

BTW perspex visors are also quite popular in the Mini scene - probably a number of online classic Mini parts suppliers will list them and I doubt they cost much. I think the stock Mini mounting bracket is a lot smaller, also IIRC Minis have two mounting points and the visors don't swivel to act as side visors, but it might be worth a look for inspiration

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
my current 5 came with uk spec sunvisors, which i changed for some jap spec ones i had.
one of the reasons i did this, was that the uk visors got in the way of the soft top latches! they also curve slightly towards the window, due to the contour of the roof. so i am thinking that a flat piece of perspex would either:
  • not fold up high enough - therefore get right on your tits, as you headbutt it all the time!
  • not be wide enough, due to the roof shape - therefore not block enough sun
dont be put off by this though, i'm sure you can come up with a suitable design!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good point... could either make a cut out so it clears the latch (though that would probably leave an unshaded gap on the screen when folded down, or use an orignal JDM frame and mount the perspex on it in two pieces, so it still folds

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Or just bend the acrylic to shape.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one. How have you fixed the perspex to the hinge bit? and what thickness of perspex did you use?

·
Registered
657 Posts
3mm and the plastic fits into the gap between the stock bracket (as the wire frame was also3mm thick) but will most like run a strip of metal or plastic along the top and then tap some threads in the acrylic and screw it all together. Will also dip coat the bracket so looks a bit nicer, will be new year now though as finish for xmas tomorrow

·
Registered
301 Posts
Looks good. Was the perspex bent with a strip heater? I used to make fingerboards out of perspex in after school tech club, that was quite a few years ago mind!

Is this just a home project or will you be able to produce these for small-volume sale?

·
Registered
657 Posts
yes it was shaped on a strip heater. no plans to make any more than the one for my own car, but more than happy to share the Cad files for free if anyone wants them once i have finised it (aslo the cad drawings for the many other laser mx5 bits i have made).

·
SubZero
2,316 Posts
interesting mod this.......keep up the good work

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.