Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So following on from my query posts this will become a how to blog on sills arches and lots and lots of rust repair.. I'm. Not a professional but I do know my way around an mx5. This is my DIY version of the work I hope it helps someone else but please don't copy what I do here blindly I am not a mechanic.

The car before
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Road surface Rim

Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Tread

Brown Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Tools I'm using
Angle grinder and cutting discs, twisted wire discs, sand paper, rust eater gel, new pre made weld in panels.

Jacking.... Be careful I couldn't use any of the standard jack points behind the sill as the cars rotten to.... In these areas so Ive jacked up on the diff and subframe as others have posted. Then put axle stands on the ends of the chassis rails under the car, I also have a jack pre set under the diff and some support under the front subframe member but these are not taking any weight they are safety measures incase the axle stands fail. On top of this I also always use the wheels placed anywhere near where I'm working as an absolute final safety measure. I'd much rather destroy some alloys than die should every other element fail.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Parts bought

Floor to sill panels - the mx5 restorer... These were hard to find as no search function but pre bent steel ready to weld in betweenn the floor and sill where my massive rust holes are. They are £18 each so well worth it.

Sill and arch kit...

Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Font Motor vehicle

·
layabout
2,475 Posts
Tools I'm using
Angle grinder and cutting discs, twisted wire discs
add in a decent & sharp wood-chisel (or two;))
these are amazing for cleaning underseal and also leave a clean & straight cut on steel as well as getting into corners that tinsnips or grinders will fail.

Rich.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will be following this thread closely.
I have just bought my 15 year old daughter a 1996 1.8 MX5 as a project.
It looks like it's been kept in a salt mine...🤣

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not much happened this week I'm afraid due to work but the new panels arrived..
Hood Automotive tire Wood Table Bumper

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Flooring Auto part

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit of damage to one of the wings but will speak to mx5 heaven and see if they can swap that one over.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Lol.. been awhile since i done an mx5 welderup job.. quite fancy another project as im a sadist lol.
But alas no DIY boo hiss. Have fun.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bit more progress today one side almost all cut out now need to start piecing back together all the bits and fabricating a few internal sill parts as the previous repairs were somewhat to be desired by the looks of them. Front arches all cleared out and cleaned internally, no signs of rust their so good clean and they've been coated with a rust preventative waxoyl internally too.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive tire Bottle Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Hood Tire Automotive tire Car

Wheel Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive tire Grille

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple of notes I noticed that the sills are much easier to do if you don't need to do all of the inside vertical of the door mine had about 6-8 spot welds all close together here it was a real pain in the arse so I will be trimming further in on the other side likely on the edge of each rectangular cut out this gives a good location to line up on both new and old panel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts