Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm getting my car aligned on Wednesday and I'm trying to work out a spec.

I've looked at flyin' miata's settings, which seem to be gospel and I've read http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html which was bloody useful!

So I'm looking at:

Front:
Caster - 5.0
Camber - 1.5 degrees negative
Toe-in - 1/16" total 1/32" per side

Rear:
Camber - 1.5 degrees negative
Toe-in - 1/16" total 1/32" per side

However, my Haynes 'do it up' guide to MX-5 maintenance gives flyin' miata's camber settings as

Front camber - 0.7 negative
Rear camber - 1.2 negative

I'm gonna go with what it says on FM's website - 1.5 degrees front and back - as more camber on the back sounds like it'll induce understeer. Am I right? Interestingly, the Haynes manual suggests 5.0 degrees negative castor....

I'm aiming for a 'fast road' set up with a view to an airfield day on Friday. Ideally I want the steering to centre more strongly and to get more road feel - especially from the back of the car.

If its relevant, my car's a '94 s-limited on Tein Type NR coilovers with 14" daisywheels. Front ride height approx 30-31cm hub to wheelarch, rear 32cm (although I measured it parked slightly downhill...)

I know I've opened a tin of worms here, but I'm open to any advice!

Many thanks,

Neil

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
where are you going for an alignment?

If you go somewhere where they know what they are going like WIM or Rodders... they will tell you all on the day....
what he said ^^^. You'll be able to tell them how you want the car to behave and they will adjust the alignment accordingly.
Never been to WIM but I know Rodders was very good, explained everything he was doing as he did it, and I actually understood what was going on and why:thumb-up:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

I live in deepest, darkest Kent - so WIM is a little bit far away for me! Who's Rodders?

I used www.alignmycar.co.uk to find some nearby garages capable of doing laser-alignment on a Hunter machine. I'm using Maidstone Tyres, based in Tonbridge.

When I asked if he could align an MX-5 to my specification he immediately asked about trackday use, so I'm guessing he's familiar with setting up MX-5s. I was going to show the guy the above numbers and ask for advice but I was wondering if anyone on here had any suggested or preferred camber settings that I could think about.

Anyhow, I'll get back tomorrow with some data and we'll see what's what...

Thanks!

N

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
-1.5 camber front/ rear will invite oversteer. I also feel +1/32" is a little light as well.

Problem with the 5 is the positions are dependant on the body height and the adjuster range, it only takes one adjuster to "max out" before hitting target to destroy the calibration, in this event the whole geometry needs to be re-written to another level on the fly.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm...

Well, I've had the car set up to -1.5 degrees camber front and rear with 8minutes toe in front and back and 5 degrees castor.

I had just typed out all my settings but I accidentally hit an internet shortcut and lost them and I can't be arsed typing it all out again!

The car felt immediately different from before - it felt planted and secure on the road and the steering centred more strongly. Admittedly, I didn't try to provoke the car but I didn't detect any looseness from the rear.

The alignment is in prep for a carlimits day on Friday, so we'll see how the car behaves then!

Thanks for your help and guidance!

N

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
That's what i mean about "height dependant", if the car is intended for the track i would assume it's low with high suspension rates, in this case you can afford a more aggressive setup since there's less dynamic gains. If you put -1d 30' on stock suspension then during yaw the transition would gain loads on the apex throwing the rear out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.