Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right gents, following on from another thread in the "problems" section it looks like my pilot bearing has given up the ghost after only 6 months.

It has gone from a high pitches chirping when the clutch is dis-enguage to a nasty grinding noise.

Now I have this book in for Saturday so I need to order my part to have it ready for the weekend, is another Mazda genuine bearing likely to fail soon as this bearing only lasted 6 months, it may have been a F1 racing bearing though so I don't want to assume too much.

I have heard that the Mazda genuine bearings are pretty crap and prone to failing from what I've read on Miataturbo.

So is there an upgrade part worth ordering or would you chance it with another Mazda OEM bearing from MX5 parts?

Anything else worth looking at whist I'm there? I did notice the F1 stage 3 Clutch I have has a very high biting point, is it possible lower this at all please?

Cheer in advance for the help

Ryan

·
Registered
10,255 Posts
I run a f1 stage 3 clutch and got an Oem bearing when the clutch was fitted tbh the f1 supplied one was I'm pretty sure a Oem one too. I'd just get another Oem job personally.
Do you find your clutch is really high as well? Almost at the top?
[/quote]

My gut instinct is it's not, but its over 3 weeks since I drove it and my right leg is currently in plaster so I can't check it out currently, soz.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
The bearing I got from AutoLink (pattern part) has lasted much longer than 6 months.

Could be the release bearing, I suppose. Both the release bearing and pilot bearing come into play when the clutch pedal is pressed.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bearing I got from AutoLink (pattern part) has lasted much longer than 6 months.

Could be the release bearing, I suppose. Both the release bearing and pilot bearing come into play when the clutch pedal is pressed.
Release bearing? Would that not creat the noise when the pedal is up not when it is down which I have?

I may need to rip this out and get the guy to look over it all with a fine tooth comb.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
The release bearing is spinning whilst your foot is on the clutch...
Indeed, when you press the clutch pedal the release bearing pushes against the diaphragm spring fingers on the cover plate.

If your cover plate and friction plate are in good order then there will be a transition phase where the release bearing is being driven by the cover plate but the friction plate has not fully disengaged for the pilot bearing to come into play. If you get noise in the transition phase then it is the release bearing but if you only get noise with the clutch pedal all the way in then it is the pilot bearing.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The release bearing is spinning whilst your foot is on the clutch...
Indeed, when you press the clutch pedal the release bearing pushes against the diaphragm spring fingers on the cover plate.

If your cover plate and friction plate are in good order then there will be a transition phase where the release bearing is being driven by the cover plate but the friction plate has not fully disengaged for the pilot bearing to come into play. If you get noise in the transition phase then it is the release bearing but if you only get noise with the clutch pedal all the way in then it is the pilot bearing.[/quote]

Cheers bud, I have ordered both as it was only £25 so i will report back with my findings.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Right had this done yesterday and the pilot bearing was indeed buggered!

I got my friend to change the thrust bearing at the same time just in case :)

Also had the gearbox oil changed as well, that has genuinely made a massive difference to the smoothness of my shift! Did the nylon cap and gaiters before but this has by far made the most difference

Thank you all for the help on this one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.