for cable or adsl ?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
who owns said broken kit?

Bt supply and own it
virgin media supply and own it
orange supply and own it

I think they all supply one, and own it. I know some gamers do buy there own to get the very best, but should you be paying for this?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
who owns said broken kit?

Bt supply and own it
virgin media supply and own it
orange supply and own it

I think they all supply one, and own it. I know some gamers do buy there own to get the very best, but should you be paying for this?
Er, unless I read Ron's original post wrong, it's not the modem that's gone belly-up, it's the wi-fi router - which isn't normally supplied by the Service Provider...

Ron, I've got one of these simple Belkin jobbies: ebay link It's easy to set up, I've got 3 computers directly wired into it (max 4 possible) and 2 laptops using the wireless, and it has been faultless for the past few years. Worth a look anyway

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
In my experience they're all much the same (i've had a fair number of cheapy ones over the years)

I'd recommend buying from one of the larger companies (belkin, 3com etc.) cos if it does go tits up and you need a firmware upgrade or something there's a higher chance of you being able to get one.

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
ron only reason i asked is if it is a bt adsl router i have one here that you can have i have a bt home hub if its any good to you

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry, could be a bit clearer eh....

im on virginmedia cable.

my prev wifi box was a zyxcel. not bad,sood me well for a few years,with no probs, but strangely its not working now. virgin customer services last night took me through several 2press this\do that" things, and id agree with them, its kaput. works fine on hard line as per now, but obv want wifi back, for ps3,ipod touch,and lappy.

all the lights work on the zyxcel, and connects fine,but laPPY says its connected, but with no internet connection...dunno, the experts say fucked,and i cant be arsed or have the knowledge to doubt it. althought they did try to sell me a virgin wifi box..for ?40,...

ill def get one today,so ill have a look at those choices mentioned.

·
Registered
17,701 Posts
Without shadow of a doubt the one I can recommend is a BT 2wire 2700 HGV

What you do is buy it, upload the US based firmware.

Hey presto, exceptionally robust wifi router with 1/2 mile wifi radius! (no really)

You can usually find them unlocked on ebay (if they aren't specific then ask the seller) and only cost about £20

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without shadow of a doubt the one I can recommend is a BT 2wire 2700 HGV

What you do is buy it, upload the US based firmware.

Hey presto, exceptionally robust wifi router with 1/2 mile wifi radius! (no really)
alex,cumon, u know me, i have trouble in working out which way a 3 pin plug goes!!!

would this work on ntl/virgin cable?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
im on virgin media, and have the wifi router they provided sat right next to me.

If you didn't get one from them for free, then concidder closeing your account and starting a new one. Its generally cheaper for new customers rather than being nice to the older ones, and they give you the wireless router for free nowdays. every provider i listed does, and i know because ive used them.

Ive a nice one here, but its a phone line jobbie. Like BT. Useless for cable users.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I know the Belkin one works on Virgin, because that's what I have got
Although I can't think why it would make a difference, it's still best to keep things simple (I am a numpty when it comes to computer stuff, so if I can set it up I reckon any bloody idiot can. No offence Ron
).

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
used these a couple of time pcworld ?40 not bad range and Wireless n as well

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I reckon it could be easily fixed. If they were the virgin "experts" then probably just looking to make some cash.

Mind if I pop over and have a whack at trying to fix it?

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
a whack at it is always a good thing lol

virgin provide the 256 modem still(number not speed)and a separate router. All the bt line orientated kit seems to be modem and router combined. I was very surprised to see virgin still giving out separate boxs, but keeping modem and router separate has certainly paid off here. Still.. I preffer the one box approach which is why my routers sat here in its box. unfortunatly its not mine to give away though.

i thought the netgear kit was about 10% ahead of the rest of the crowd, who are all about the same. Its all about the modem part of it though. Its a single box solution at about ?80 new.

what you want ron is just a router. any wifi router that dont have a modem built in, or if it has it will limit your choices to cable specific ones.
Any... just find one and we can give you some confirmation

·
Detects stupidity. Attacks without mercy.
13,839 Posts
If you do end up buying one, you want a cable DSL specific one - like on this pages:
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?store=8&cat=39&subcat=1160

My new Virgin package comes with this DLink router:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/134991
I had some problems when i started setting up static IP addresses for all my network, but once i canned that idea and let it do its own thing its been ultra reliable, and gives a great wireless signal (although most of my stuff runs off a phat wired connection for speed)

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bought one cos i dont want sahill anywhere near my house..he grabs bits i dont wanna sell...haha...

pc world ?59 now ?39, belkin n150,cable one, 4 device ports,enhanced wireless router,. now to try blow it up!!

·
was b0builder
6,502 Posts
im wifi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps3,ipod touch and a new lappy, all working, so normal mental service is resumed..
their you go sir easy peezy lemon squeezy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.