Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, car failed it's mot this week on a couple of bits, one of them being the offside caliper leaking. Had a look today and was surprised to see it leaking from the pin the handbrake spring sits on (fluid coming from behind the bracket) and only leaks when the handbrake is used. Anyone had this? Is it repairable or new caliper time? Other than adjusting, never played with the handbrake. Best pic I could manage attached . Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,141 Posts
It strictly is repairable, (there's an o ring that seals the adjuster, but it's caliper in component parts to get at it) but as it looks like you already have a pattern part caliper on there, I'd look to source a low mileage genuine mazda caliper.

I don't trust elastomers on aftermarket parts.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,411 Posts
There's an o-ring in there that it'll be leaking from. You need to strip the caliper down and remove the adjustment mechanism in there too get to it, the c clip is pain to reach though. It's unlikely to have failed due to age tbh, more often it's due to rust, which is harder to fix. For the cost of a half decent used caliper I'd likely do that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts