Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I installed a retro style toggle switch for the hazards and lights on the tombstone and I coincidentally(?) have had radio issues since with the radio powering up, but not playing. I have changed the fuse a couple of times and the radio started working, but when I put the tombstone and connectors for the toggle back in place and turn the engine off, on engine on the radio powers up without sound again

is it possible this new plug and play toggle switch is causing the fuse on the radio to blow? Should I reinstall the old OEM light|hazard buttons and see if the radio issue still occurs?

Many thanks for any help and advice.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,557 Posts
Which fuse blows, an output fuse in the radio itself or the car's fuse for the radio?

It could be something like a trapped wire that gets pinched against some metalwork when the tombstone is pressed back into place.

Do your new toggle switches have terminals that sit close to any metalwork when it's all assembled?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your help (again!). The fuse I replace is the red one at the rear of the radio unit. I can't see any wires trapped, but I'll look again.

The new toggle switch is the plug and play one and I cannot see it having unusual contact, but it is a coincidence since I installed it I've had the radio issue.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

This is the exact one i purchased.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update: nothing to do with the toggle switch. I have discovered that the fault develops if I have the radio on in power on mode and then turn the ignition The 10v fuse goes. If I have the radio off and start the car, the radio works fine. If I turn to power on and off, the radio works fine.

I can only assume this has been like that the whole time, but I’m sure in my many years of ownership I have had the radio on in power on and then fired the ignition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts