Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I know you must get this alot! But

i need to know if my car has an LSD lol its a standard V-SPECIAl i think its a mk1 1990 in BRG with tan leather normal alloys aircon PAS

Now i was just on my way home and decided to have a play, It will donut but it needs lots of revs and lots of persuation ??

also i tryed coming into a long corner in second and booted it with some over steer and it held it ok then bit back with a shake,

Then tryed the same around a small round about in second and booted it and manged to hold the tail 1 full time round and on exit a large kick back ?

so what do you guys think is this an lsd?

thanks

·
Registered
446 Posts
With yours being a 1990 it must be a 1.6 which means that if it does have an LSD it will be the viscous one not the Torsen found on the 1.8. Not sure if the VSPEC had it as standard though.

Try the search function see I would bet that this has been covered somewhere. AFAIK if you jack it up and spin one wheel and the other spins aswell then you have a locking diff.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Everything bax has said is right (esspecially about the search).

That test doesn't work on torsen box's or vicous ones past their prime, which is estimated at about 60k when they revert to open. Only sure way it to lower it out and have a look.....or floor it and dump the clutch, 1 means open, 11 means LSD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything bax has said is right (esspecially about the search).

That test doesn't work on torsen box's or vicous ones past their prime, which is estimated at about 60k when they revert to open. Only sure way it to lower it out and have a look.....or floor it and dump the clutch, 1 means open, 11 means LSD.
to be honest i find it difficult to even get the the car to wheel spin even with shed loads of revs ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
As was said, leave it in gear, jack up the back and hand turn one wheel, if the other wheel spins the opposite way you have a normal diff (or a knackered LSD), if the other wheel turns the same way then it's a LSD.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tryed jacking it up woth the jack in the boot and part of it snapped when i was winding it up and i couldnt wind it back down as the part where you put the winder in snapped off completely :S

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
As was said, leave it in gear, jack up the back and hand turn one wheel, if the other wheel spins the opposite way you have a normal diff (or a knackered LSD), if the other wheel turns the same way then it's a LSD.
my torsen does not do this! the only way to know for sure is to go make some nice number 11's in an industrial estate or something. mine is I can assure you.

I thaught the rule was - eunos 1.8 99% torsen, UK 1.8 probably open. most full power 1.6's were viscous?

Give it a footf full of revs, bit of clutch and it will spin either one wheel or both I can assure you!

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
That test only works on viscous and clutch type LSD's. A TorSen will spin the other wheel in the opposite direction as it needs torque loaded agains it to work.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes you can do a doghnut without an LSD, and yes you can hold a slide for a bit with no LSD, (though it's more difficult).

Please type properly you have a full keyboard, use it.
i dont know what you mean type properly i am what have i done wrong ?

are you refering to me spelling donut you spelt it doghnut the actual spelling is doughnut
also when coming out of a slide the car bites back and sort of kicks its tail when it gets grip does this mean the LSD is getting the grip to both wheels?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
With a 1.6 diff, you can tell the difference by the number of 'ears' on the half shaft flange iirc. 8 ears is open, 4 lsd. It's in the diff spotters guide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.