1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
FUGLY!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
How can they be described as functional - unless they're talking about the side repeaters (which Miata's don't have). They would only vent to the virtually sealed off area behind the arch liner.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Turn it UP!!!
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK Guys, I can take a hint, it is either a
1) Marmite syndrome
2) I have a Louvres fetish

Since I'm having both Headlight lids louvred then thinking about louvring up the hood, I think the later is the one.

·
Turn it UP!!!
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmmm... different, looks like some cutting of the front wings would be needed. where did you see them? are they for a 5?
Here is the linkClick here
and this is what the designer had to say on a MX-5 Miata Forum

This is a reply from Jim Simpson to an interested party about the louvers, thought you guys would be interested.

the reality is the vents are fully functional.
They create a low pressure area in the side of the fender drawing air from around the front inside area of the core support and thus create an outlet for hot engine compartment air not, in fact an air and water inlet (except when you wash your car) to have an air inlet which would not be terribly useful one would need a
scoop facing outward and forward.
Yep there is some trauma in installing the louvers (it is really not that hard to do) but then what is the difference if your going to drill holes for lights and mounting screws why not go the distance and make the darn thing do what it is supposed to do!

Reality is we could use the existing parts and make a fake louver and I suspect some people will figure out that it is easily doable, by
trimming the back of the louver off so it sits on the fender and just paint black out the area on the fender that corresponds to the back of the louver. That too would be easy to do.

I do appreciate your bringing comments and ideas to me as I do not spend time in the forum rooms, just not enough hours in the day. You
certainly have my permission and encouragement to post my reply to you if you like and let people know that I am certainly open to ideas and
criticisms.

One parting thought is that once you drill holes in the side of the fender or cut a large hole for the louvers there is no easy going back, so it is a commitment on the part of the person making the change.
As always my best regards
Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.