Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying an MX-5 I have found. Went to check on the MOT status and it has a few minors. As I am new to the MX-5 car scene I was wondering if you could help me. The car is a 1991 Eunos 1.6. Issues are as follows:
  • OSF Upper Suspension arm ball join duct cover severely deteriorated.
  • Surface corrosion to suspension components
  • Brake pipe corroded front to rear
  • Surface corrosion to rear inner sills.

I have done alot of work to my previous car however I am not happy getting into welding new sills. I also dont have the funds to start paying the big price tag for new sills. Any tips or advice?

Many thanks in advance,

Jack

layabout
OSF Upper Suspension arm ball join duct cover severely deteriorated.
Common, new dust boots are cheap & easy to swap.

Surface corrosion to suspension components
again common, 30 year old components...
rear lower wishbones can rot and snap but all others seem to be strong.
New & new Geniune Mazda wishbones are available (y)

Brake pipe corroded front to rear
cheap& easy to replace.

Surface corrosion to rear inner sills.
surface or deeper?
any help?

they're old cars now, either previously welded (both good & bad馃槻 ) or will need attention...
do not bee fooled by fresh paint or underseal - be cynical about whats hidden behind it:unsure:

whats the reg number / what area is it as someone may know the car or be local and maybe be able to help you look it over?

Rich.

Registered
'surface corrosion to rear inner sills' would be my biggest worry. Maybe see if they'll let you poke a borescope inside the sills to check on the internal condition. I'd want to check on how thorough the tester had been. Surface corrosion on the outside will probably mean corrosion internally, but how much?

As Rich said maybe someone local to you can help check it over as they'll hopefully know how to access the sills. (or on your own: door kick plates off, and then poke a borescope into the access holes there, plus rear wheel off, remove rubber bung in the front of the wheel arch and put the camera in there). A cheap borescope can be had off ebay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'surface corrosion to rear inner sills' would be my biggest worry. Maybe see if they'll let you poke a borescope inside the sills to check on the internal condition. I'd want to check on how thorough the tester had been. Surface corrosion on the outside will probably mean corrosion internally, but how much?

As Rich said maybe someone local to you can help check it over as they'll hopefully know how to access the sills. (or on your own: door kick plates off, and then poke a borescope into the access holes there, plus rear wheel off, remove rubber bung in the front of the wheel arch and put the camera in there). A cheap borescope can be had off ebay.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help guys, really useful. I think i鈥檓 best off waiting for the right mx5 to come along.... anyone selling a cheap rust free mk1? ;)

Registered
Thanks for your help guys, really useful. I think i鈥檓 best off waiting for the right mx5 to come along.... anyone selling a cheap rust free mk1? ;)
you could even go and look at it with no real intention of buying, just to get a feel of what the car is and look around the known problem areas (mostly rust, sill and wheel arches are the main areas on a mk1, for a a mk2 add front chassis legs). Most mk1's and 2's are likely to have some rust now owing to their age. It could be an OK car.

Where in the country are you? Maybe someone who knows 5's could take a look with you?

layabout
anyone selling a cheap rust free mk1?
theres two words that are not commonly used in the same sentance anymore :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

although if you're lucky theres good cars around for a few grand....

all depends on what you are looking for.

Rich.

Registered
Stick with a mk1 and only really the cills to worry about as the front chassis legs arent affected like the mk2/2.5s.
Advisories arnt that bad. Id go n see it have a feel of cills if its original and not full of filler and or bits fall break off in your hands then get it. Dinitol it and enjoy. They rust from inside out.
( depending on price).

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Phil.
Some advice for you, don't buy an MX-5 that's advertised as rust free any more. Buy an MX-5 with budget left to fix the sills and any other rust.
As mentioned, gone are the days of cheap NAs, rust free or not.
Sorry but I disagree with your advice. Look for an import that's not been used in the winter, would be my advice.

Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
Sorry but I disagree with your advice. Look for an import that's not been used in the winter, would be my advice.
I'm not sure that cheap, garage stored, summer used rust free imports exist anymore, that's my point.
I'd rather fix a rusty car and know it's done right, than buy a "rust free" car for the same money to find out it's needing new sills

layabout
I'd rather fix a rusty car and know it's done right, than buy a "rust free" car for the same money to find out it's needing new sills
OR buy a car thats supposedly been repaired properly & find out the hard way it was bodged 馃槻

Rich.

Registered
Hi jack . I have a 1.8 eunos auto. Absolutely rust free. Full mot no advisories. Message me and I鈥檒l send some pics

1 - 20 of 20 Posts