Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

Project Ronin

155K views 2K replies 138 participants last post by  OnePaintedMan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've been holding off posting up my car in members rides for some time - well at least until it had started to represent what I want it to become. I'd posted a few pics in other forums but wasn't ready to stick it in here yet.

I've finally fitted some new wheels though (purchased off elkieboy on here) so its about as good as its going to get for a while until I've saved the big money for suspension and a respray!

Its a 1990 1.6 Eunos Roadster. I've had it 5 years and until this year I hadn't done anything much with it (It came riding on Work Ewing RS Alpha wheels which are now tucked in the garage awaiting refurb when I can find the missing centre cap from one of the wheels - I put it "somewhere safe" last summer
)

However I've had a busy few months and its now somewhat different. So far its got the following goodies/mods:

Hardtop
OEM Knee pads
OEM Sunglasses holder
Mazdaspeed stylebar
Momo Prototipo Steering wheel
RS style headlamp/hazard switch
Vent rings
Mazda Strut Brace
Indykid Front chassis brace
HKS Powerflow filter
Offset plate
Front and rear tow hooks
Garage Vary front lip
14" Panasports

+ Joyfast shiftknob which is currently somewhere between Japan and here!

Still to do:

Garage Vary rear lights
New seats - keeping these a surprise (will probably fit black leather covers temporarily)
AWD Dials
KG Works instrument faschia
TSi's
Gaz Gold Pro coilovers
New modded dash
Rear strut brace
Vented bonnet
Wider wheels & rolled arches (maybe arch extensions - can't make up my mid)
Respray

Will post further updates on its development in this thread. . .

See less See more
#7 ·
That really is lovely. Only thing I'd change is the number plates for some 9x7's.

Saying that though your plans sound spot on

#11 ·
Just got it back from a full service (+ had the gearbox and diff oil changed). They also discovered one of the balljoints on the front suspension had excessive wear so they replaced that as well (Fairplay - they left the part they removed in a clear plastic bag in the car - it was . .er. . . outside manufacturers tolerance shall we say).

I could have done without the bill for just over ?400 though! That didn't include oil, plugs or air filter either which I provided. I know I should have done it all myself but time is short at the moment and however much I enjoy working on it, I want to enjoy driving it more!

As soon as I got it home I set about replacing the shift lever upper and lower boots. I noticed the other day that the top boot had completely disintegrated and the lower one was virtually non existent.There was also no oil at all in the turret so I topped that up. Refitted the console and fitted my new Joyfast shiftknob which arrived from Tetsuya Garage this week and went out for a spin.

The gear change is now like a rifle bolt
but the major difference is the sound! My roadster now making a noise like a sports car again instead of just a lot of noise!!! Can't believe how sound insulating the new boots are.

I've been working on a new dash this week too. Watch this space . . .

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
OK guys and gals. Latest update - short but sweet.

Finished modding my TSI's - followed Revlimiter's blog instructions with a few changes of my own.

You can see my write up and links to his original here

and a pic of my newly installed Joyfast Shiftknob - really like this!

Off to a classic car autojumble on Sunday to see what interesting bits and bobs I can pick up. Hope to get some vinyl as well so I can diamond quilt my interior Nakamae style (Can't afford the real deal unfortunately). Watch this space . . .

#16 ·
Those TSI's really look the part

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cheers
I've not really been driving it much for the past few weeks as I've been off work and spending some time with my family (which confines me to the family wagon).

Hopefully I'll get this brake caliper sorted as soon as I receive the piston from MX5Parts and get back on the road - up on axle stands at the moment (Bad stance)

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dismantled my leaking front offside caliper on Friday to replace the seals and discovered a nasty gouge out of the side of the cylinder. Ordered up a new one from MX5Parts and got a delivery the next day (as usual - they are pretty slick) . . . of a rubber washer ( . . . but not this time)
Got to give them a call this morning!

However, the weekend wasn't a complete washout as I also got a new chrome and leather handbrake sleeve from them and I fitted a new leather gaiter to the handbrake too!

Also fitted my new skuzzle di-bond slam panel over the weekend. I think it looks perfect

and I had the delivery I had been waiting for last week so the polishing has started (pics are pre-polishing)! Need to get a new decal for it and some silicone connector hoses so I can get it on the car

#22 ·
Right - Mini update.

Got the brakes sorted after a lot of faffing about (10 days) waiting for parts and have been spending every available minute driving

. . . well I say every available minute - ebay may have distracted me a bit.

Bought some momentary on-off-on switches off Landwomble and some stainless steel sheet off the 'bay so I will be making a retro style window switch panel using Landwomble's walkthrough

I've started cleaning up the ARC intake I purchased as well (waiting for an aluminium polishing kit) and need to source some short lengths of 65mm and 70mm silicone hose to get that connected up.

Also picked up some crystal headlight units (glass lenses) with integral sidelights so those need fitting!

. . . and finally - just won an auction on ebay for one of these rear view mirrors (probably off one of you lot
). Always wanted one but never thought I could afford one. It will probably shake badly but it looks so damn cool I'll live with it!

Image from Moss Website

#25 ·
Well after 3 days on my back with a trapped nerve and a very painful visit to the physio yesterday
I am now vertical again!

I've been looking at the contents of a box that arrived two days ago with gritted teeth because I couldn't get the bloody thing fitted but today with the help of an able assistant to do the spanner work and some painkillers so that I could get outside and direct operations I managed to get my new mirror fitted into the car! Still can't drive it to see if it wobbles around but it sure is preee-tty!

The sooner my back is sorted the better as not only do I have a new job to start (which I have had to delay for a week) but I have the ARC chamber to polish and fit (silicone coupling pipes arrived today), crystal headlamps to install and sidelights to wire in!

Its starting to really come together now* though

*although looking at the first photo I need some new pedals and will probably polish the spokes on my prototipo wheel as well!

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks to JoeyTalent's hard work on photoshop today I finally have an image of the destination I set out to achieve with my car (reproduced below following some slightly clumsier editing contributed by me to alter a few minor details).

Like everyone on here I always want to create a roadster a bit different and wanted a colour that was both different, retro and a bit JDM all rolled into one.

A lot of people have given me positive feedback on my car of late which has been both unexpected and left me quite chuffed. Its also left me scratching my head a little because when I come to respray it (planned for later this year budget permitting) I have been wavering between following my vision all the way through or bottling it
and going with the safe option of respraying it the colour it currently is.

I'd be interested in your thoughts (Good or bad)
. . .

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)

I went to bed last night thinking "yeah it'll look great - definitely going to do it" Then I got up at 6:30 this morning and looked out of the window and thought "Man, I just love the way my car looks right now"

Ever since I stuck the Panasports on it it just looks so resolved! I love the gold and silver combo. (I think if I were to change the wheels it would be to 14" lipped Wat's but I'd stick with gold)!

I still have hooligans wise words ringing in my ears about looking back at his car from a few years ago and wondering why he ever changed it because it just looked so right!

I'm really grateful to JoeyTalent for helping realise my vision digitally but I think I'm going to live out my fantasy in the rendered world for now and respray Ronin silver.

Of course with roadsters so cheap at present I could always pick up another as a track weapon later on, respray that but not spend any money on 'pretty bits' and have the best of both worlds ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.