Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Giving MX5 owners a bad name by being a hairdresse
1,518 Posts
??????S! what a car, will be interested to know how well it handles. should put a big smile on your face

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Poor car spends more time in bits and on axle stands than it does on the road but anyway need the subframe out but was buggered if i was dropping the engine and box out again.
So I bought a Sealey engine steady thing, nicely made and reasuringly heavy

Used some old bits of skirting board , partly to ensure that there was no way the engine could swing but ive also put centre marks in pencil on the boards and engine as tell tales if the engine has swung or dropped as i removed the subframe.

And then dropped the subframe out , engine stayed exactly where it was supposed to

So its all ready for one of Claires subframes which ive had for months but have done nothing with - ho hum

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When did you move to Oz?

·
Registered
108 Posts
First time I've seen this thread, after following a link on PH last night.

Amazing work.

Wonderful sound on those video clips.

How does the difference in weight in that position affect the overall steering feel?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Bloody hell, just spent over half an hour reading this thread! I was tempted by this kind of swap for my little drift project but I looked at some of the costs and thought it would be a tad out of my budget
I am thinking maybe the 2.5 KL V6 for me
Awesome build thread and can't wait to see this complete

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
6 years on and still playing with the stupid thing , on the bright side its kept me off the streets at night. So whats changed? ummm not much. My furry helper/ garden assassin is still about and almost a teenager now. He used to charge about everywhere trying to catch flies , now he just sits there and takes a snap at them as they fly past him. Im the same with women nowadays to :ph34r:

d4d54ba6-0336-48bc-9976-352a0abcb9dc.jpg

I bought one of Claires subframes from a fellow nutzer , nothing really wrong with my original modified one but the tubular one certainly makes life easier , much more space around the engine

5april2013.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

came with no engine mounts , which was exactly what I wanted so I made some to suit

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Has a manual rack at the mo but made it up with a power sterring rack in place just in case I get weaker in my doting years. I saw on one of Claires pics that hers has a brace on the back of it - so I blatently copied her idea. The brace sits just behind the sump and the whole thing got powdered coated.

IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

While I was playing with the subframe and trying to fit it I found that I was getting very wet. Turned out to be a leak on the waterpump , so one new pump and cam belt the coolant is staying where it should. Took the oppurtunity while the front end was apart to fit new plugs , lead and caps.

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG_0884.jpg

And my new favourite tool for holding the crank pulley in place whilst undoing the nut - its the little things in life lol

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

And whilst the front is in bits Im replacing all the bushes with superpro - thats next weeks job. And ive got a new diff and shafts from a rx7 turbo 2 to try and fit but that will be next years job - roll on 7 years in the making

IMG_0815.jpg

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Hi Pip,

Great to see an update.

Have you driven it much ?

I'd love to see / hear it in the flesh - I still haven't started my 1UZ project - despite having the two donors for around 5 years now - I have built a couple of houses though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Pip, Great post and some informative information, I was toying with the V8 option but decided on the Turbo route mainly due to time constraints.

Out of interest what Callipers did you use ? I've been looking a bolt on upgrade.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
While I was playing with the subframe and trying to fit it I found that I was getting very wet. Turned out to be a leak on the waterpump , so one new pump and cam belt the coolant is staying where it should. Took the oppurtunity while the front end was apart to fit new plugs , lead and caps.

IMG_0848.jpg
Can I just be really immature and laugh at the shape of the water pump?

Just read this from start to finish. Absolutely insane project. I got my MX5 in April and have become consumed with turning it into a V8- this thread has helped hugely. You've done a top job. Really impressed and hope to see the car in the flesh some day- met some lunatic who's put a Jaguar 3-litre V6 in one the other night, that was also very cool... but has to be V8 for me.

Well done. Don't worry about the cost, what matters is the sense of accomplishment and the fact you've made something that not many have the skill/budget/creativity to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thread Resurrection!!

I am looking at exactly this project, including making my own tubular subframe. I am on the cusp of placing orders etc, but was wondering what sort of power / performance figures the OP was getting.

The torque of a V8 is somewhat appealing, and i miss my SL500 so need to fill the void in my life!

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're going to have to be more forthcoming than that. Tell us more!
I'll add some pics etc when I get a chance, but it's a real beast. Even just sat idling, it just sounds amazing ... I can understand why people go to a V8 rather than just trying to squeeze more boost out of a small engine, when you open it up the sound and the acceleration is just ridiculous!

Russell

·
Registered
248 Posts
I thought it worth keeping this thread alive and up to date, another ownership change for this beast.

It's still working, and reading through this does explain a thing or two! If pip17 is still around I'd love to update him.

Very little has changed, there's a PAS cooler and PAS rack now, the nice Elise seats are sadly gone, and as with any car of this age and level of modification there's something of a looming 'to do' list, but we're getting there. Hopefully will get it back to its full former glory cured of all oil leaks, rattles and squeaks in the coming months.

261 - 279 of 279 Posts