·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Hi,

Remind me what year is your MX5 ?

UK or Import ?

What year was the donor Lexus ?

Basically the only bit that matters is the emmissions.

Check with your preferred station about the cc but AFAIK it's not an issue (it certainly isn't with my MOT man)

Generally there is only an issue if you claim to have fitted a smaller engine and want to pay less road tax.
MX was a 1990 import and the Lexus was also a 1990 so no cats to worry about. Will pop down to my local garage and ask them about the V5 / engine

Phil

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Excellent - so just the old limits then.

I think you'll find they just put the cc down as 4 litre but I must admit I haven't tried it since the new automated MOT came in.

They might not be able to change the size.

Not that it really matters it either hits the emissions or it doesn't.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Sounds fantastic, engine bay looks so neat. You must be dying to get that on the road. Well done, great build.

Andy
Well after reading Marks ( Only MX5ives ) comments about the MOT man. I popped down to my local garage and they dont seem to care wether the engine and V5 match up or not - so its in for its MOT at ten this morning. Going to be an interesting to see what it fails on!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
3 weeks - surely it wasn't THAT long a list ?

Sorry Mark ,missed your post completely. Didnt quite go according to plan! Took it out for a drive just before the test was due on the Sat morning , had a go down a short bit of dual carriage way near to where I live and found that the clutch was slipping badly after a few miles. Just about got home and lost all drive and had a nasty burning smell. Gave the car a severe talking to and left it in the garage to think about things for a few days. Got chatting to a bloke that runs Suffolk county mantas and he sugguested a garage local to me - so it got thrown over there due to a lack of time over new year. The guy that runs the garage is a real petrol head and had the gear box out the same day to find that the clutch was ok and no damage. Problem was my clutch master cylinder wasnt adjusted correctly - by mounting it on the inner skin of the bulkhead had effectively pushed the piston forward inside the cylinder.So was holding hydraulic pressure on the clutch plate and just started to dis engage the clutch plate and cause the slip. So thats all done , steering is tracked ,passed its MOT , only advisory is tyres perished. V5 has been returned with correct numbers on it. Garage owner likes the car so much he wants to buy it and so do 2 of his customers!

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
passed its MOT.

Garage owner likes the car so much he wants to buy it and so do 2 of his customers!
So what's it like on the road ?

Surely it's not for sale at any price at the moment - however if you decide to change let me know !

I haven't started my project and bought a Monaro before Christmas to see if it would do the job - it hasn't, 385bhp sounds a lot but with 1700kg and long gearing it isn't the monster I thought it'd be.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Wow, so this is on the road now? I'm not suprised a few people want to buy it. I reckon you could stick it up for sale for a big asking price and still get shut of it the same day! Keep it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Its now road legal which is a bit of a worry for the neighbours Im sure. Havent really had a good drive in it yet - all of the garage lot seem to have and apparently it drives really well - even on the wrong suspension. It comes home tomorrow , was supposed to have been last Saturday but they seem quite attached to the bloody thing and seem reluctant to give it back. May have a play with it at the weekend if I get time and can afford the petrol!

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
was supposed to have been last Saturday but they seem quite attached to the bloody thing and seem reluctant to give it back.

May have a play with it at the weekend if I get time and can afford the petrol!
I'm not surprised they are reluctant but I'm amazed you didn't collect it the same day - there's a lot of your hard work there.

I can sympathise re: petrol the Monaro is giving me 14mpg which isn't funny.

I'm looking forward to your appraisal and an indication of it's prowess.

I think you've done a cracking job.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Glad to hear it's passed the MOT and now road legal, great job. Thought it had failed on something drastic and you had put a match to it
Thinking of selling already, took me a few years to get to that point.
Well done great project.
Andy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
Glad to hear it's passed the MOT and now road legal, great job. Thought it had failed on something drastic and you had put a match to it
Well done great project.
Andy
Thanks , been a drawn out project but its kept me occupied. Hoping that vindi49 's tubular subframes are really expensive and that I wont be able to afford one , otherwise the car will be in bits again!

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
Well done great project.
Andy
Thanks , been a drawn out project but its kept me occupied. Hoping that vindi49 's tubular subframes are really expensive and that I wont be able to afford one , otherwise the car will be in bits again!
[/quote]
Sorry, but they'll be fairly cheap for what they are... and available in about a weeks time with luck

Russell.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Well done great project.
Andy
[/quote]
Sorry, but they'll be fairly cheap for what they are... and available in about a weeks time with luck

Russell.
[/quote]

Thats sort of good news and sort of not lol. Already thought of a list of things to do with the subframe off

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Ooooh thread from the dead ! Not that ive done very much to it but hopefully it will be on the road for summer - possibly. Bought some Gaz shocks for it , they are fitted just need to set the ride height.As you can see in the pic , only came with one C spanner.

And I now own the scruffiest elise seats ever , they are leather and they are ripped , holed ,scratched and scuffed but they fit in nicely with the rest of the car and they were very cheap. Just need to get a new lumbar support valve so I can have a bit more support for my back.

Fitted the seats with a set of Randamonia's brackets - very nicely made and come with very thorough fitting instructions.

Driving position feels a lot better probably due to the lack of padding in the elise seats so I am sitting slightly lower in the car.

I have totalled up what I have spent on the car and we could have a game of "guess what the idiots has spent so far" - its a scarey fecking figure and I will probably only divulge it on my death bed!

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
I can't believe you aren't using it already.

I'll have a guess - without going back through the thread.

Car less sold bits ?1k
Engine ?500 (after selling off car bits)
Gearbox ?800
Gearbox conv. ?1k
Sump ?500
Exhaust ?1k
Prop ?200
Misc bits ?1500
Suspension ?500
Seats and mounts ?250

So ?7250 excluding your labour ?

(It's probably more)

241 - 260 of 279 Posts