Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi everyone, thought it was about time i showed my project. Just bought the red mx5 off ebay.

The good bits; no rust, nardi steering wheel , engine brace and some nice if a bit small wheels. And a private plate which should get me �250 when i sell it.

The bad bits ; no mot or tax .Paintwork is faded, scratched and the lacquer is peeling. Needs a new hood, water is getting into the boot and will need new discs.

The project; pull the old engine and box out and put a lexus v8 , r154 and torsen diff in . Change the brakes and suspension and then have some fun with it

Bits to sell off eventually will be; private plate, probably the wheels, strut brace and silly twin roll bar hoop thingies. And the engine, box , diff and prop.

Pulling the engine and box out of the Lexus

The engine being cleaned, wiring identified and generally being sorted out ( hopefully)

And what im selling on ebay ( very cheaply ) at the mo
to make some space for everything

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keep us updated. Have you got an idea of whan you would like this project to be finished by?
There is no deadline, just fitting it inbetween everything else sadly. Started in March when i bought the pimp mobile, spent ages marking up the dash wiring and engine wiring. Then found that a lot of the wiring falls by the wayside as you get into it. Ive ditched the a/c compressor which was easy, finding a shorter accessory belt to fit wasnt. I also ditched the radiator fan pump on the front of the engine and the traction control. Ive identified most of the remaining wiring. All ive got left on the engine at the mo is to degrease it, refit a tensioner pulley ( had a dead bearing), clean and spray the crankshaft pulley black ( its rusty and is annoying the hell out of me!) and fit the shorter drive belt. But to get to the engine i have to move the red mx, swap the battery into the silver mx and move that and then pull the engine out on its stand- all of which is a real pain! But ,hopefully if the silver mx sells life will be easier

some of the wiring

and a bit more wiring!

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
That pic of the wiring looks like something you usually see members of the Air Accidents Investigation Branch sifting through, looking for a black box.

Good luck with the project, will be very interesting to see it up and running.

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
What a fantastic project

Keep the updates coming please as amd when you get time to do some more.

Did you weight both engines and gearbox's?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great idea for a engine conversion. Wish you luck with it. Love to see it work. Power to Weight on the car would be amazing.

·
MX5-less!
1,182 Posts
Brave man attempting that wiring
Great project though!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm really interested in how this goes, I would love to do this conversion. PLEASE keep us fully informed, I'll personally buy you a pint if you do!

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,492 Posts
Outstanding!

Do you know whether you'll be able to keep the PowerPlant Frame in the Roadster, or will that have to go? Also, what sort of price does an old Lexus like that go for?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone . Im not the first to do this conversion by any means, if you search for " Andris" on lextreme ( loads of lexus info and conversions) and the mx5 miata forum you'll see his amazing work. I bought the Lexus as an mot failure for ?510 from ebay. The engine is a lot heavier than the mx5' s one but they are 250 bhp as standard. Hopefully with a decent exhaust, no cat ( deliberately bought a 1990 mx5 and lexus ) and decent induction will be a few bhp higher. Then if you have really deep pockets, you can supercharge it , twin turbo it or have individual throttle bodies. But space under the bonnet will be a limiting factor. The wiring does look a bit scarey to begin with, but with lots of reading is beginning to make sense. Im hoping other people on here give it a go- it has been very time consuming and will be quite expensive. Im keeping a running total on what ive spent so ill let everyone know from time to time where im at on the money front

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
And I thought my weekend wiring project was daunting

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Fantastic conversion mate and like everyone else I cant wait to see it finished and running.

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Lexus V8 Roadster has always been my dream. Alas ive neither the skill or time to make it happen.

Ill be routing for you - hope it comes out great.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
That's some serious skills... OK and balls you have there to even attempt THAT.

I hope it all goes according to plan mate. You certainly seem to know what you're doing and IRTBs running on that would be su-wheeeeeeeeet!!!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
bloody hell!!! will be bookmarking this thread for sure, can wait to see how you get on..

good luck pal and i'll also personnally buy you a pint if you finish it.. mind you only if i can have a ride..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Time for a small update on Project Disaster. The good news is i sold my silver mx to a very nice man who lives locally- the bad news is, i sold it very cheaply to a very nice man who lives locally. They just dont seem to be worth very much even in nice condition. Ive also sold my 6 speed box to a guy up north somewhere. So selling them has brought a bit of cash in and cleared a fair bit of room on the drivway and in the garage.

Ive bought some new engine mounts from the states, they were $5 a piece so i bought 4 of them . Ordered them online and they turned up 3 days later - result!

They replace these original great lumps and should allow the engine to sit a bit lower and allow me to close the bonnet

Ive also decided to lose the power steering , it should make the engine bay look a bit less cluttered and i cant be bothered at the moment getting hoses made up to go from the lexus pump to the mazda rack. It might be possible to fit the mazda pump but you would need to fit a different pulley , the lexus is a 6 rib one and i know the mazda is a 4 or a 5 ribbed one (havent actually counted). So i will need to either fit a manual rack ( anyone got one they dont want ? ) or de- power the power steering rack. Im going to keep all the bits, just in case im to weak to turn the steering and have to go back to a powered rack

The engine started with 7 pullies ; crank , alternator, a/c, power steering, radiator fan pulley ( hydraulic radiator fans ) , belt tensioner and idler pulley. Ive had already ditched the a/c and by getting rid of the power steering pulley means i can also get rid of the idler pulley and the radiator fan pulley ( will be using conventional fans not hydraulic ones that lexus use). The idler and rad pulley were just guiding the belt round to the other pullies. So im down to 3 pullies the only problem is the belt tensioner needs to be a driven pulley and not an idler .Hopefully the pics will explain!

The belt tensioner pulley on the left and the old ac ( driven) pulley on the right

Need the belt tensioner pulley to be driven , so lathe out the center of the ac pulley

And you end up with this:

Slip the remains of the ac pulley over the belt tensioner pulley and hey presto- one driven pulley!

Will need yet another drive belt , so ill show you a finished pic of the 3 pullies next time.

And ive made a very small start on the red mx- degassing the ac . This is how it should be done if you dont want up to 5 years in jail and/ or ?20,000 fine! Luckily for me im a refrigeration enineer and have the reclaim unit etc in the back of my van

Ive also ripped out the immobiliser. It only came with one dongle on the key ring and that was held together with tape. I removed and proved the engine still ran. I wanted to do it now before i fit the new engine.

1 - 20 of 279 Posts