Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, I was after a turbo at first but the idea of a supercharger is now sounding more appealing the more I have read up on it (for my personal use). Basically looking at a pretty basic supercharger set up for about a 40% increase in power. Not decided on what yet as I will probably need someone to do this for me. Spoken to a couple of people about them.

I have recently put in an uprated 1.8 diff. I have new brakes, and new suspension coilovers. Also have a new exhaust set up from standard. The thing I'm thinking about now is my standard clutch. My current clutch is slip free and never had any problems with it. Will a 40% power increase/torque be ok on a standard clutch? My plan is to see how it copes and replace with uprated if needs be? Whats everyones opinions. It is my only car so I need it to be as reliable as possible hense one of the reasons im going SC.

From what I have searched I think I should get a way with the standard on a 40% increase in torque as long as Im not red lining it everywhere etc. Sound about right?

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
sounds about right, really depends how much of a power/torque increase you end up with, how worn your stock clutch is, and how gentle you are on your clutch. My stock clutch lasted a year or two with 5psi of turbo power.

·
Super Moderator
10,057 Posts
Ah right, I thought that a supercharger might be a little easier on the clutch but a year isnt really ages is it. ?280 is a decent price fitted.
the torque of a supercharger will be harder on the clutch if anything. pat's 1.6 clutch has been fine on 12psi, turboed for a few trackdays though.

keep the money saved and replace it when it starts slipping.
tom

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
Ah right, I thought that a supercharger might be a little easier on the clutch but a year isnt really ages is it. ?280 is a decent price fitted.
the torque of a supercharger will be harder on the clutch if anything. pat's 1.6 clutch has been fine on 12psi, turboed for a few trackdays though.

tom
[/quote]

Nah mate you have that ass backwards.

Tubbys make more torque than a charger, it's partly why matt's motor hasn't blown up yet

Pat's clutch is a freak of nature, along with his diff.

·
Super Moderator
10,057 Posts

tom
[/quote]

Nah mate you have that ass backwards.

Tubbys make more torque than a charger, it's partly why matt's motor hasn't blown up yet

Pat's clutch is a freak of nature, along with his diff.
[/quote]
hmmmmmm.....touch?

yours certainly feels to have a whole wedge more torque than pat's but i suppose it's the distribution rather than the peak. a SC's surely making more torque at hard launch?

the clutch and diff survival's more down to the finessse of the drivers i think

tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts