Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I use my 91 Eunos for Solos. Most times steering is OK but occasionally it bogs down/goes heavy at the wrong times. Saturday's demo at British Motor Show saw me heading towards the barriers more than once!
I understand its to do with the spring on the pump pressure relief valve allowing the relief valve to blow off under repeated hard turns/change of direction.
So the question is can I stretch the spring so it blows off later?
I'm told to stretch it to 40mm from what's likely to be 25mm (old age and hard use compressing it) - not taken it apart yet.
That then poses the question - if I stretch the spring am I likely to blow the seals in the rack?
Any thoughts/comments (polite ones only) gratefully received.
TIA.

·
layabout
2,639 Posts
the question is can I stretch the spring so it blows off later?
stretch a spring? so to stretch something that can lengthen & shorten but return to a set length?

I'm told to stretch it to 40mm from what's likely to be 25mm (old age and hard use compressing it)
maybe better to add packinhg to increase the current spring's preload OR get a new / different spring?

I've got a spare pas pump from a mk1 in the shed doing nothing as I've converted to electric pas column :cool:

Rich.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich, like the idea of increasing the pre-load by packing it. That way presumably it doesnt affect the pressure overall in the system. You've triggered the thought to speak to my suspension guru mate. What he doesn't know about springs and pre-load prob isn't worth knowing. Ill post up any thoughts for others to consider.(y)

·
layabout
2,639 Posts
if you're feeling adventurous....

or have nothing else to do :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Rich.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.