Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
London town!
801 Posts
figured I better get this thread going really as I have owned the new pluto for only 2 weeks and already done shed loads on it!!!

some of you might remember my first pluto here:

I decided against getting another mk1 this time, getting a little older (both me and the mk1's!!) and wanted something a tad more refined. An aquaintence on another forum put this little beauty up for sale:

its a 1999 mk2 1.8 sport. UK car and had a few major things on it that peaked my interest:

- recent receipt for both sills completely being repaired
- only 2 owners, the first of which had it serviced with mazda all the way up to 97000 miles, even small things like light bulbs went through the dealer!!!
- black leather
- brand new discs and pads all round
- near enough brand new tyres all round
- cheap as chips!

so an 80 mile train journey was made and the princely sum of only £2000 was handed over and I drove home grinning like a baffoon

one small niggle did arise on the way back and has since become an intermittent fault - it would appear the cooling fan will only kick in when it feels like it can be bothered to!! after a bit of research, I have come to the conclusion the ECU has probably got a little bit of water damage which is affecting the circuit for the fan switch in it. classic problem - the drain holes for the soft top were clogged up meaning the passenger side footwell whilst dry on the surface, was pretty wet underneath. after peeling back the carpet the fan seems to kick in a little more regularly, but still can occasionally not kick in even when the temp gauge is just over 3/4!! plan is to send the ECU off to these people: http://www.the-ecu-doctor.co.uk/ so they can rebuild it whilst the car goes in to the body shop in a couple of weeks time.

So what has been done in the last two weeks?

wweelllll....

- new mohair hood courtesy of Gary at Dandy cars (what are the odds - I used to go to university with him ten years ago and had no idea he had bought that business! nice guy!
)
- HID headlights installed
- LED sidelights installed
- new plugs and filters
- mazda OE brushed aluminium handbrake handle
- mazda OE brushed aluminium vent rings
- Rota RB 15x8J with 195/50/15 Toyo proxes
- sony mp3/ bluetooth handsfree and audio streaming head unit

so whilst I spend £2K on the car, another £1000 has been spent since then, however its been money well spent I think as pluto mk2 now looks lovely I think - although you can judge for yourself!

Pluto is heading to the body shop next week for a complete re-spray - whole body so more pics will follow when thats done!

Plans for the future are:

- figuring out the right suspension package. I want to drop it around 30mm but it must be a kit which doesnt significantly harden the ride in anyway, i like the way it feels right now, the lower look for me is actually just a cosmetic thing to make the stance with the wheels right, dont actually want to affect the ride too much and not bothered whether there is a significant gain in the handling, i just dont want shattered bones everytime i step out of the car!!!

- face lifting ALL the lights on the car. mk2.5 rear clusters, clear reflectors and repeaters, paint the reflector section inside the headlights and de-tango them as well.

- OE mazda skirts and front lip. possibly flared arches.

- some sort of silly exhaust

- later spec highback leather interior (similar to Euphonic models etc)

- POSSIBLY a mk 2.5 front end conversion.

and for the short term thats it. once all of that is done, will think about tuning but there is a stipulation - I want to stay naturally aspirated - anyone know if 160-170bhp is possible without putting a blower on and what sort of money it will cost? also whether stock ECU will be happy with that kind of thing?

anyhoo - thats how far I have got now, not bad for only owning the car for two weeks I think!

thoughts and comments welcome

·
Registered
8,927 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice car, looks like a bargain for 2k, nice list of planned mods aswell!

and for the short term thats it. once all of that is done, will think about tuning but there is a stipulation - I want to stay naturally aspirated - anyone know if 160-170bhp is possible without putting a blower on and what sort of money it will cost? also whether stock ECU will be happy with that kind of thing?
N/A tuning the MX5 is very expensive, you would be looking at engine work to get 30bhp extra including a standalone ECU, intake and exhaust. All that would cost a lot more that a basic supercharger/turbo setup and ultimatly result in less power.

N/A tuning is great but you need very deep pockets and a good engine builder (Which is expensive).

·
London town!
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, started the de-tango process for the headlamps today. absolutely crapped myself when putting the headlamp on the baking tray but hey ho! gotta learn somehow!!

only managed to do one side this afternoon, other side will be completed over next few days I hope.

top tip - to get easy access to the locating pin at the back of the headlamp without removing the front bumper, remove the front section of the wheel arch lining instead. MUCH easier to do after jacking up the car and no messing about trying to re-align the bumper afterwards.

pics of the results:

left side (not yet done)

driver side (done obviously!)

both together to see the difference

Makes a HELL of a difference to the front end of the car. will update when the other side is done as well. Still need to get some silvertech/diadem indicator bulbs though, hopefully order them off the egay tonight.

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Nice one BM. Welcome to the world of Mk2 ownership. You are right it is a little more refined than the Mk1 but loses none of the character. Nice list of plans there. Please don't do the 2.5 front conversion. It is something I have been looking into but if you do it and show me how simple it is then my conscience might not let it lie in the back of my head!!!

Keep us updated I like the look of what you have planned.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Gosh does that light look nice! It makes such a difference! Me thinks I need to do this!
Is there a How To thread somewhere? And what did you use?

·
London town!
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for the comments guys and gals!!

Have decided to hold off on the body shop for now, going to source the skirts and lip spoiler before I get them to respray the car - makes sense to do it all in one hit

Nice one BM. Welcome to the world of Mk2 ownership. You are right it is a little more refined than the Mk1 but loses none of the character. Nice list of plans there. Please don't do the 2.5 front conversion. It is something I have been looking into but if you do it and show me how simple it is then my conscience might not let it lie in the back of my head!!!

Keep us updated I like the look of what you have planned.
Thanks dinky!

mk2.5 conversion is a way off now I think, to be honest with the work I have just put in on these lights am a lot happier with the way the front end looks now, once the lip spoiler and number plate are sorted I think its probably going to be around for a bit (although knowing me I will probably change my mind at some point!!!) I think if i get a mini number plate on the front on a custom made up holder it could look VERY cool.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Liking the lights, I really must get around to doing this.

·
London town!
801 Posts
other side now completed.

pics

sorry for crap quality, i dropped my digi cam recently and now wont focus properly most of the time

glad it's done though, was a headache of a job!!!

starting to gather all the bits required before it goes into the body shop now:

- side skirts
- front lip
- offset number plate bracket and square plate
- some kind of funky tow hook

considering at the moment whether to go ducktail on the bootlid. dont like any of the normal spoilers out there but i do think the ducktail is quite nice

also hunting down a set of mk2.5 rear lights (if anyone has a pair for sale let me know) plus clear reflectors and indicators.

once all that is done, only thing left will be to lower the car and the outside will be complete. then on to the interior

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
looks pretty nice! also someones going to say it so I might aswell.. needs lowering!

if that sat lower coupled with a nice front lip I reckon it would look pretty mean!

also reaallyy liking those front lights..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very nice mk2 you have there! I have recently got one too, and you have already embarrassed me with the pace of your mods... I am definitely going to be blacking my headlights at some point, but like you said, putting them in the oven is a scary prospect!

·
London town!
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone

Andy - have debated this one a fair bit in my head, I think if i was to leave the numberplate in its current location, then would debadge it, but given the plate will be moving to offset, I am not so sure. I think if the plate moves AND the badge disappears, then the front will look a little bare. I'm leaning towards keeping the badge but moving it down by a couple of centimeters as I think it sits too close to the bonnet shut line. that will be even more apparent when the plate moves as well.

mx5 nutz - lowering is on the cards, but further down the line, once i have the skirts and lip on and after the respray. also need to figure out what to use to lower it - I dont want to change the ride too much so will have to get a few opinions on what is the softest method of dropping 30mm.

Benn, beleive me I was crapping it with the first one as well!!! but trust me, they should be absolutely fine. with the one i did today i actually put the heat on a little too high and didnt check on it for 15 mins and even then it was ok.
remember to clean the inside of both glass lenses before putting them back together though or you will end up with fingermarks on the inside of the lamp.

on another note, anyone know how to get the tow hooks off the car? currently have two ugly OEM ones on there. one will become the offset bracket and I want a funky tow hook for the other side. just ordered the side repeaters in clear with a black trim, there seems to be a black/aluminium/silver theme developing on the colour scheme for the car so i went for the clear repeaters which have a black trim as opposed to chrome. little more subtle and in line with the way the project is developing i think

·
London town!
801 Posts
bit of an update, got a few new bits over the last couple of weeks:

- clear repeaters
- clear reflectors
- mk2.5 rear lights
- mk2.5 gear stick and radio trim surround from a euphonic model
- mk2.5 two tone heated leather from a euphonic model
- mk2.5 two tone door cards
- black front grill

havent installed the door cards yet as I need to get hold of some door handles from a mk2.5. I was under the impression they are the same as a mk2 but I have been reliably informed the mounting point and connector rods are in slightly different positions (thanks Andy
). Currently on the hunt for a set so should have them sorted soon i hope, but in the meantime, some pics of everything else (excuse the quality of the pics and the state of the car, camera is boogered because i dropped it and now it wont focus properly and the car is in dire need of a good clean!
)

new rear lights

repeaters and reflectors (can see these above as well I guess but I am a pic whore
)

leather seats and centre console trim:

Am on the look out for a few bits to finish off the interior now:

- mk2.5 steering wheel and airbag with red stitching if poss
- mk2.5 centre console
- mk2.5 door handles mentioned above
- some NICE black mats with red trim (problem is most of them look cheap, might get a set custom made with red leather trim)
- black leather gaitors for handbrake and gear stick with red stitching ( current is plastic on the handbrake and cheap vinyl on the gearknob)
- some artwork DEWA premium dial gauges and all the AWD shiny bits to go with them (probably have to buy these brand new as they are so damn rare and expensive ) http://www2s.biglobe...b_black_004.jpg
- red or blue LED's for behind all of the lights in the dashboard (difficult one, interior theme is black/red/ally but the stereo has blue lights! lol! )
- dash cubby hole with an analogue clock and aluminium trim round the clock

Will update when I get the door handles and have the cards installed. opinions/comments/suggestions welcome!

EDIT: got the heated leather switches too, going to get an auto electrician to see what he can do with them as the car never had the option to start with hence doesnt have the wiring loom in place for it - dont think it should be too difficult to wire them in with some custom wiring, might need a relay or something but sure it will be ok.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.