Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilding the engine on my son's NA 1800 due to excessive oil consumption.
Looks like it needs a rebore. BUT pistons (in any size ) appear to be unavailable. The usual suppliers and my favourite machine shop say there are none. I did find some very expensive forged ones listed on the interweb, but this is a road car, not some killer track weapon.
Can't believe I'm the first person to need some pistons for the 1800 BP engine.
If there is a supplier out there, please share a link.
Cheers,
Jerry.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried Mazda, nothing doing. Yes, buying an MoT failure and whipping the engine out seems to be the best option at the moment but then you take the risk of another duff motor. Not keen on buying an engine alone with unknown provenance. I'm just astonished that there are none available, although I have just found a listing on fleabay in the US.
Cheers,
Jerry

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,632 Posts
Does it really look like it needs a rebore rather than just new rings and a rehone?

It seems like every time I read an owner's tale of their oil-burning '5s they report to their surprise the original honing still looks mostly okay.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might be right Martin. I took a few steps back and re-measured using the piston skirt rather than the crown and that gives me the bore just within spec. I think we'll hone and whack in some new rings, new shell bearings and box it up.
What are the recommendations for ring and gasket suppliers?
Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts