Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I love the retro looks of this, they seem to go on ebay occasionally for around ?100-?120. Anyone got one? Are they actually any good for this price?
Used to have one in my old 5. Sounded fantastic (very high quality internal components) and looked pretty cool, nice and understated rather than the flashing lights etc of some of the more comparable units at the time.

Only arguments against it is that it's a bit pricey for a ~7 year old design now, and it doesn't have any of the modern features like iPod integration, Bluetooth etc. Just need to make sure you pair it up with some decent speakers and possibly an amp to get the best out of it.

I loved mine, and would have another one in a heartbeat

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do seem a tad expensive for similar aged systems. I think I can get a new system of similar quality for the same price. However there isn't really anything else like it. Moss make a few 'retro' units, but tbh they really don't look that good to me. So lack of real choice I guess drives up the price.

I thought it did have ipod integration? tbh I have an old mk 1 'mini' ipod with a transmitter thingy that I usually use, so no real problem neway.

·
Registered
373 Posts
love mine, had it since new and been in about 4 cars. going to go into my new mk1.

only gripe is that the illumination is bright white which isnt very retro but still looks (and sounds) amazing.

really expensive unit when new and rare nowadays so holding its money

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had one in previous car, good sound, never went wrong.

Although my experience in the 5 is that you need to get some sound output up around your ears because of the wind noise when roof down, so speaker location plays a big role.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, thankfully I have headrest speakers. They didn't work when I first got the car, well 19 year old speakers aren't ever really going to work are they? One of the first things i got was new larger speakers. I had to cut our a bit of foam, but other than that they fit ok.

Anyway, general consensus seem to be positive so I'll look to pick some off ebay in the ?100 - ?120 range.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
only gripe is that the illumination is bright white which isnt very retro
Theres a (orange I think?) illumination wire, which if you connect up to your headlight circuit (or anything else that dims when your lights are on) will dim the lighting for you

·
5 FTW
797 Posts
I used to have one of these.. bought because it was simple and sounded good.

I cant believe they are still going for over 100quid!!.... and as said above they are getting on a bit now.. i bought mine in 2004! - note that although you can get extentions like ipod kit, its very basic support allowing play/pause next track etc.. i found myself hacking it to use the controls on the ipod to choose what music to play.

also beware 2nd hand ones, the face-connectors have a tendancy to go weak causing flickering and the front panel going off if you press the buttons too hard.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Always going to be risky buying 2nd hand I guess. tbh I'd prefer to buy a new one...but they don't make them, nor can I find anything that even approaches the looks. £100 on ebay, I'd pay double that for a new one, but alas I can't.

Also I guess my demands aren't that great. Classic fm and radio 4 mainly. I guess I can plug a DAB receiver in. the odd CD will also go in.

·
9,153 Posts
i have one in perfect condition. if you're really desperate to get hold of one, let me know and i'll take it out and replace it with something else - it's probably too good for my car. beware tho, my car was broken into before and my first one nicked, so *always* remove the face plate when you leave it.

also, i bought the connector that goes into a 3.5mm jack aux, and then you can either plug that direct into the ipod headphone socket, or use an ipod adapter that goes from the ipod wide connector into 3.5mm jack which gives you your line out signal. (i wouldn't be selling that final ipod adapter but can tell you where to get it from, think it's about ?12 which is a bit of a rip off)

the only thing that irked me is that it doesn't show the time. but everythign else is brilliant, it's subtle looks, the quality of the sound, and the function to increase the volume as the background noise goes up works really well. easily worth the money imo.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i have one in perfect condition. if you're really desperate to get hold of one, let me know and i'll take it out and replace it with something else - it's probably too good for my car. beware tho, my car was broken into before and my first one nicked, so *always* remove the face plate when you leave it.

also, i bought the connector that goes into a 3.5mm jack aux, and then you can either plug that direct into the ipod headphone socket, or use an ipod adapter that goes from the ipod wide connector into 3.5mm jack which gives you your line out signal. (i wouldn't be selling that final ipod adapter but can tell you where to get it from, think it's about ?12 which is a bit of a rip off)

the only thing that irked me is that it doesn't show the time. but everythign else is brilliant, it's subtle looks, the quality of the sound, and the function to increase the volume as the background noise goes up works really well. easily worth the money imo.
If Tiberius has already got one, I'd be very interested in this

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol...now there's loads of people here who want one, why don't pioneer still make it?

I do want one, but ?142 is silly, and there's still a while to go before that auction ends. I'm just surprised that they're still so much in demand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts