Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use the Audi TT style intercooler with the inlet/outlet at the top of the cooler and run pipes through the slam panel i'm curious to see how others have done it and which i prefer.

P.s Dont be shy, i know you people like to show your engine bays!

·
Registered
363 Posts
When going over the top :)

You will need to drop the rad and lean it back at the top to get clearance

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brill cant wait to see it, i havent looked at how the rad can be dropped and angled so that will be my next job!

·
Registered
912 Posts
You need to drill holes (at a slight angle) about 10-15mm above where the original rubber lug things (don't know the technical term!) sit. Take them out by removing the circlip and move them to the new holes, you will then need to fabricate some brackets to to fix at the top to tilt the rad back. I've yet to do these brackets as want to get the pipe work first and in then position the rad at the top and fix it. You'll need the radiator out to drill the holes, mine was done whilst the engine was out.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I found that a focus tdci intercooler fits perfectly. dropped rad by 2" using fabricated mounts (they were a bit agricultural) two 90degree ally pipes of ebay and a few lengths of silicone - job's a goodun lost 1psi over my previous crossover pipe setup, WOT temps at 28degrees (jrsc with 62mm) and only cost me £70 all in. That said, a TDR intercooler would probably give better gains, just cant justify the price. I've since upgraded my intercooler to a koyosports one which cost me £40 on ebay.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Liking the ideas, tempted to lean the rad back rather than drop it so going to make mock intercoolers up out of cardboard and see which fits best.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup! Cheaper than buying everything wrong! What size pipe is everyone using? 63mm i'm guessing?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I look forward to seeing it put together! Just the tensioner to make now and everything will be powder coated and i can fit it and start measuring.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
better pics

and this is no drop of rad, also as u can see its a Alloy one, and its thicker than my OEM (that was there a few hours ago on same set up) its working and nothing really has been modified!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.