Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
How the car's looking now...

MX5 Turbo lightpainted frontal by PGDesigns.co.uk, on Flickr

And here's how it looked when I bought it off Rodders (bar the hard top, I've put that on)

Spot the dirty line.. that came from polishing the front/lower section of the bonnet. Then rain water would run down to the polish, then stop.. leaving all its crap behind

But getting it this far wasn't easy, oh no. Here's the story..

Project Wet sand!

Looking closely the paintwork wasn't ideal, it was never meant to be as the car was built for track use. But I'm a bit of a perfectionist

Bonnet close up, see where I'm coming from?

Luckily Paul was kind enough to put plenty of paint on the car when he painted it, so I had no worries about cutting it back a little to make it smooth.

So I did just that! The car has been completely wet sanded with 2000 grit paper with a flat firm sponge as a sanding block.

The rear bumper mid sand, I went all nerdy and run a mask line down to see the difference sanding had on the colour..

Front wheel arch, notice the brown staining pre sanding..

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Phil where are we at now, do you have pictures fully finished / polished (Close Up) more pictures...........please.
Allthough probably need to see it in the flesh to get the best picture.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Bonnet mid sand

After sanding the job lot was polished up. I started with the Megs G220 orbital buffer very very kindly on loan from Gary, many thanks for that good man
That was using their compound at first, then experimenting with Farecla G3, it was coming up rather well
But further down the line, when I came to do the bonnet I just couldnt get the shine I was hoping for (probably down to watching too much American hotrod
)

So I called in at Painter Daves on sat afternoon for a few pointers.. He had a quick go with one of his rotary buffers and G3.. and OMG! Thats what I'm after right there!! It looked superb, and was much quicker. Not a safe as using the Megs buffer I guess but I risk I was prapared to take the risk. Huge thanks to Painter Dave for the weekend loan of your equipment
very generous, baring in mind I'd never even met the chap before!

Looking better..

A before and after shot of the same spot

I'm really very happy with how it turned out

I've a new shinny black hardtop from Painter Dave on too, looks great! 'A' piller and mirrors to go black as soon as possible!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You can come polish mine now!

Looks really good mate - total sleeper as well!

Pat...

·
The only " Dave in the village"
4,339 Posts
Well done on a great job
, i have just bought a rotary buffer/sander off ebay, if i can achieve what you have with the paint on your car i will be well chuffed

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well done on a great job
, i have just bought a rotary buffer/sander off ebay, if i can achieve what you have with the paint on your car i will be well chuffed
Thank you.. Just go steady with the rotary buffer. I was luckily in that I knew their was a lot of paint on the car ( the painter paul told me), so I had little fear of going through

Thanks for the comments folks
I'm so chuffed I've brought the looks department up to scratch, because it certainly doesnt need any help in the going like sh1t off a shovel department!

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
Nice looking car PGD, kind of where I'll be going with Yuki when I finally get around to it, although there will be a handful of differences.

What front splitter is that, and how did you do the smoked indicators?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.