Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When hoovering the car a few days a go I noticed the carpet was wet underneath the floor mat. It didn't seem to be a lot so suspecting the plastic lining under the door card to be the problem I repaired it. Part of it had come away.

After all the rain we had last night and this afternoon I checked it only to find a swimming pool! The carpet is drenched from behind the seat down to the start of the footwell. The seat itself is dry, so is the footwell, the sides of the carpet where it clips over the sill and the carpet behind the seat. I've checked all the drain holes, which I do regularly anyway and they're clear.

Any ideas on where it could be coming in from? I've got the seat out and carpet up to try and dry it out a little. We had heavy rain again tonight so I got in the driver's side to try and see where it's coming in from but couldn't see anything obvious.

I'll remove the parcel shelf carpet and check around there as I did have to patch the rain rail up a few years a go. Maybe the tape has come off or it's cracked even more, but could water leak from here to the floor. I may replace it with a Robbins one.

Also, after pulling the carpet up I saw a black round tube by the sill but nothing was going through it and it wasn't connected to anything at either end. Does anyone know what it's for? You can see it in the photo below.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Composite material Font

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
571 Posts
A number of places but the first one I'd check give that it's quite far back (assuming your car has been out in the rain with a soft top) put your hand behind the seat belt tower, is there a pool of water? if so, you need to clear your sill drains.

As dadbif mentions above there's scuttle drains.

You've also got the obvious roof/window seal.

There's the heater matrix up under the dash which has seals that sometimes go.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've had a look online about the scuttle drain locations and it seems to apply to the NC, mines an NB. If the NB has them where are they?

I have checked the drains at the top of the windscreen, behind the seat belts and the ones behind the jacking points on the sills. Have I missed any?

I'll check behind the seat belt tower and will probably remove it to check properly. After last night's rain the front of the floor had a big puddle, the rear wasn't too bad. There is a lot of condensation in the car too which isn't helping with trying to find it, but it looks like the entry point could be from the front. The car is parked on a flat driveway but is it even possible for water to run from the rear to front with that box section in the middle.

I had already checked up behind the dash as far as I could reach and everything is dry. The area behind the seat is also bone dry with no water marks anywhere.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,809 Posts
Best thing I can suggest is the clean-it-up and close the lid and get a friend/colleague/helper to hose down the car while you watch from the inside.

·
1,809 Posts
Did you ever find your own leak on the drivers side?
It's ironic isn't it. I've yet to even mount the gopro to try and find the drip. Just been too busy on the blue car G4X setup, which has its own slow leak on the passenger side, which I think is coming through the door from the last time I was in it patiently waiting for a drip.

·
layabout
2,791 Posts
(mk1 & 2)

the door seal thing that runs across the top of the windsreen is also the roof drain, the rubber is a hollow section down the screen pillar and gets clogged and blocked causing dripps and leaks, have a looksee (y)

Rich.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've literally just checked that rubber seal across the top and it's clear. Also rechecked all other drains and they're clear.

It's even worse today, there is probably 1" of water on the passenger side as there is no carpet to soak it up and the driver's side is now drenched too!! 🤬 That's mainly at the front and behind the seat is only the carpet closest to the centre console that's wet. The carpet behind is dry and so is the seat. I'm convinced it's running in from the front somewhere. Today's weather isn't helping matters!

I think this is a complete interior out job now so I can dry everything. I'm assuming I need to cut the carpet as I've read the dash needs to come out otherwise.

Why does this happen just as I plan to take the car off the road for winter. It happened last year with the auxiliary belt snapping!

Wood Gas Door Metal Font

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Grille Road surface

·
1,809 Posts
be very careful getting water in your passenger footwell, the ECU is just under that silver metal cover and water isn't kind do electrics. until you find the cause or park it somewhere under cover, I suggest you do something drastic and that is, drill a few drain holes in the low spots, pull out the carpet and let it just empty itself. you can always grommet them up again or fill them with silicone, or weld / screw them shut. holes are cheaper to fix than electronics and actual rust.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I had read that's where the ECU is located so if I need to I'll drill a hole. I've got half the interior in the shed now. I can't get the carpet out without cutting it so I've ripped the sound deading material out and wedged the driver's side carpet up too.

I did take the seat belt tower trims off, they were bone dry behind. I use a net curtain wire for the top drain holes and a long cable tie for the drains by the sills. They go in with no problem and nothing comes out.

The parcel shelf carpet was wet directly underneath where the window has come away from the hood. It was also soaked in one corner, but like I said above, behind the seat belt tower it's dry.

Considering the volume of water getting in to the car and the fact I've just found the glass has separated from the hood I'm going to assume it's from that. What I can't work out is how the bulk of the water has made it to the front of the car when it's parked on a level surface.

Luckily had no rain this afternoon and tomorrow is sunny so I'm going to tiger seal the glass to the hood and keep an eye on it. Looking at photos of other hoods the glass seems to have a plastic or rubber surround on them. Mine was just bonded to the fabric. I had a quick look for hardtops on eBay to try and help get the car dry (I have no garage) but at £800 I can't afford one!

It's so annoying as I've taxed it for another month with the weather being mild but that was a waste of time as after tomorrow I only have weekends to get it sorted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update - I've used tiger seal to bond the glass back to the fabric and also put a thin bead of it on the outside between the glass and hood.

The leak has more or less gone but water is still getting in from a couple of places and dripping on to the parcel shelf. I will add more sealant at the weekend once everything has had a chance to dry out. After tomorrow the forecast says no rain for 5 days. The floors are now dry so this is obviously where the water was coming in from.

The drivers footwell is still a little wet. After opening the door I noticed the door card, speaker grille and the side of the dash where the door closes again it is wet. Does this sound like the door seal has gone, either the one around the door, the one running down the windscreen or both. Can the seals be revived at all or should I look for some used ones or buy new? Should the door one be stuck down all the way around as in places I can put my finger underneath it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometimes and It happened to me, you can get water ingress down the inside of the panel by the footwell coming from a split in a panel seal which is partvisible when you open the bonnet by the windscreen wipers (some silicone sorts it). Also you sometimes get rust rot under the bottom end of the black windscreen trim and water gets into the footwell that way as well - rust converter and some filler properly sealed/painted does the trick

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The parcel shelf is now bone dry after applying more sealant to the window so that's all good. We've had heavy rain all day and the passenger side is also bone dry.

Still a small amount of water on the drivers side underneath the go pedal so I don't think it's coming in from the door or seals around it and I cleaned them up over the weekend. The side of the dash was dry today. I'm guessing a leak has been there for some time but it's been soaked up by the soundproofing and carpets.

I think I'll put everything back together, at least enough for me to drive it one last week and then try to find the source after winter. It'll have a cover on for that will keep it dry.

Sometimes and It happened to me, you can get water ingress down the inside of the panel by the footwell coming from a split in a panel seal which is partvisible when you open the bonnet by the windscreen wipers (some silicone sorts it). Also you sometimes get rust rot under the bottom end of the black windscreen trim and water gets into the footwell that way as well - rust converter and some filler properly sealed/painted does the trick
Sounds like this might be the culprit. There is some rust behind the wing when the door is open. I'll get a photo to show where, but I can't feel anything wet on the inside when I put my hand underneath the dash. Can the wings be unbolted or are they welded in place too?

I'm assuming the scuttle panel needs to come off to check the bottom of the windscreen and surrounding area? I couldn't see much with the bonnet open.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts