Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Crank up the settings to 8 front and 9 rear as suggested by Kevham for backroad fun.
As suggested by Lazza...

[/quote]

My humble apologies - I quote people for a living as a PR consultant and should know better than to misattribute, sorry.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thanks for the comments, i've asked Phil to quote me happy.

Do you Mk1 guys have the kit with the Mk2 top mounts etc. ? Do you think that makes a difference?
The Mk2 mounts make a real difference as they allow more travel. Also they are only about 1/4 of the price of Mk1 mounts and the chances are your Mk1 mounts will be worn.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Crank up the settings to 8 front and 9 rear as suggested by Kevham for backroad fun.
As suggested by Lazza...

[/quote]

Quite right Laz. You have much more backroad fun than me.

[/quote]
But you have much better backroads than me

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
You two should get together then, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Anyway, pics back up (at last). I'd deleted them off my server and only had the originals still on the camera and they all had different names.

Just had to sift through 200 odd pics to get the right ones and then change all the names.

Anyway, done now.

Just got to get some good settings for mine as I'll be getting it done in a week or two before my shakedown at Elvington next month (then Croft the month after).

Pat ;-)

·
"And the TrackDog said, let there be Boost.
7,086 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Ta URN

Pat...

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
It's still great.

IIRC, the Sport Drive is the replacement and is a lot better.

Pat...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've had a blown seal (rear shock) and seized adjuster (front shock). Protec didn't do a great job at repairing the adjuster; they just fitted a new knob, instead of the lower section like Phil asked them to do. Because of the effort in getting a turn around on both returns, I've not pursued it further.

Protec have a new improved shock coming out where they have concentrated a lot on ruggedisation (a lot of salt tank testing), and they will have a listing for the MX5. The actual aluminium doesn't corrode; mine look as good as new several years on, but (and this is my theory), they used the wrong combination of aluminium, brass and aluminium alloy on the adjusters, which for some reason on the MX5, seem to then seize up (apparently not an issue on TVRs), 2 years on the trot, I have spoken to Protec on their stand at the Nat Kitcar Show, both times the subject of protective boots has come up, they agree thats a good idea, but nothing has come of it.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
That was the protec kit, The current incarnation of sportdrives are very different.

I'll collate some thoughts when I get a moment, I have 150 track miles and 350 road miles on them thus far.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Used to have PureDrives, they were good. Then upgraded to SportDrives which were great.
Well, after many years (lost count) my SportDrives are now pretty much toast. Has anyone ever found a company that can rebuild them?
If not then it looks like Meisters will have to go on.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Just a note on Nitron shocks for the MX5.
The R1 are a one part body with adjusters through the top mount like the Sportrives, downside are that they are more track oriented with something like 500/450 spring rates.
So hopefully the street version will be similar but valved for softer springs and a bit more compliance.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts