Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the P5 coilovers fitted and I've just had the car corner-weighted and aligned using a variation on the Icehawk alignment settings:

Front
Caster 5 degrees
Camber -1.5 degrees
Toe 0.3mm in per side

Rear
Camber -2.0 degrees
Toe 0.5mm in per side

The car still has the FM ARBs on and whilst I believe these may be a bit stiff for the P5 setup, the car handles sweetly on the road. Ride is firm but comfortable.

This weekend sees the cars first outing in anger with a Sprint at Kames so I will have a much better feel for the on-limit handling after that.
How did you find the handling? Is it suitable for use on the road?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the P5 coilovers fitted and I've just had the car corner-weighted and aligned using a variation on the Icehawk alignment settings:

Front
Caster 5 degrees
Camber -1.5 degrees
Toe 0.3mm in per side

Rear
Camber -2.0 degrees
Toe 0.5mm in per side

The car still has the FM ARBs on and whilst I believe these may be a bit stiff for the P5 setup, the car handles sweetly on the road. Ride is firm but comfortable.

This weekend sees the cars first outing in anger with a Sprint at Kames so I will have a much better feel for the on-limit handling after that.
How did you find the handling? Is it suitable for use on the road?
[/quote]

In my opinion, the set-up is perfectly useable on road. There is no tramlining or dartiness (the high caster and toe-in make sure of that). The only concern might be tyre wear. The high camber settings might eat your tyres.

The P5 suspension is quite firm but reasonably comfortable on the settings Phil suggests (IIRC 7 clicks front, 8 clicks rear). It gets very firm to the point of pain if you increase the clicks too far but it seems to handle reasonably well on a race-track. I'm still playing and testing so I haven't completely made up my mind yet (but that's half the fun!)

If you want to see what the car looks like in action, look at this video

·
Registered
227 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
The video link isn't working (for me) could you repost it, please?
Oops - should have been : this

I've edited the original link above too.

Cheers,
[/quote]

Very impressive!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yep - good video and virtually no body roll.

That's what I'm after so I don't get seasick next time i'm at Donnigton or Rockingham.

Pat...

·
Registered
748 Posts

Front
Caster 5 degrees
Camber -1.5 degrees
Toe 0.3mm in per side

Rear
Camber -2.0 degrees
Toe 0.5mm in per side

Phil has promised my Puredrive this week
Where did you get the alignment done and how much did they charge?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Phil has promised my Puredrive this week
Where did you get the alignment done and how much did they charge?
Dreadnought, Callander. ?130 including ride height adjustments, cornerweighting and alignment to my specs. Car was on the rig for 3 hours and I got a masterclass in racecar setup whilst I was there.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Avoneer, thanks for the instructions - my kit arrived today with none. The fronts were easy to assemble but I needed the help of my wife to put the top assemblies in place on the rear ones, whilst I used my weight to compress the srping.

One question - which direction is soft and which is hard? At present they are all turned fully clockwise as instructed.

Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
Avoneer, thanks for the instructions - my kit arrived today with none. The fronts were easy to assemble but I needed the help of my wife to put the top assemblies in place on the rear ones, whilst I used my weight to compress the srping.

One question - which direction is soft and which is hard? At present they are all turned fully clockwise as instructed.

Mark
Fully clockwise is hard.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thinking about the bit when you have to squash the spring to get the top nut on:

Before you get that far, wind the spring seat and locking ring right down the shock body, do everything else the same including the top nut and then tighten up the spring seat and locking ring with the C Spanner until the correct length is set - you won't need to squash anything then and the end result is the same.

Pat...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thinking about the bit when you have to squash the spring to get the top nut on:

Before you get that far, wind the spring seat and locking ring right down the shock body, do everything else the same including the top nut and then tighten up the spring seat and locking ring with the C Spanner until the correct length is set - you won't need to squash anything then and the end result is the same.

Pat...
That's the way I did it.

Lazza - even 9 clicks is painful on the road - but sweet on the track.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How much is the p5 kit?
"It's priced at ?475.00 inc VAT for a set of height adjustable aluminium shock and springs and SuperPro bump stop/boots." Mk2 Top Mounts if you need them are ?99.

·
Registered
795 Posts
A couple of people have mentioned the "firmness" of the P5 suspension. Does it adjust down to fairly soft? Am looking for a new setup as the car came with KYB's on the front, billies on the rear and seriously low springs. Have had enough of hitting my head on the roof on some of the rougher roads round here!

·
Registered
227 Posts
A couple of people have mentioned the "firmness" of the P5 suspension. Does it adjust down to fairly soft? Am looking for a new setup as the car came with KYB's on the front, billies on the rear and seriously low springs. Have had enough of hitting my head on the roof on some of the rougher roads round here!
I have just had the P5 suspension fitted and find that in day to day driving it is no stiffer than the std mk1 suspension. The difference comes when you corner where you will find the level of control is much greater but it just feels right. It is the exact opposite of a friends car with SPAX fitted which felt as if the suspension had no travel in it at all, making it very very firm; in fact it felt like the suspension had been removed....

·
Diesel Pwr FTW!!!111
0 Posts
remonds me, must ask phil when the new batch are coming in..

21 - 40 of 80 Posts