Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

Registered
Over winter gonna put a coolant temp switch in so 96degc light on...
Old eyes and really need to look where im going lol
Im seriously considering a digi dash as it takes care of everything but current set up budget friendly.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
ok, so a brief drive today showed about 70C after about 5 minutes, then with a few miles on motorway and more on country A/B roads it sat at around 90C consistently just from checking the oil temp gauge. At some point I need to do some logging to check some stuff out so will have some more finite figures then if they are of interest.
Got the sandwich plate fitted, had to cut a chunk out of the mani bracket, but wasn't a problem. All went on easier than expected! Also fitted the oil temp guage and sender. Took for a drive, warmed up fairly quick, although I did have the car ticking over for 5 mins to see if the guage worked first. Got up to 80-90 degs in a few mins of driving. Gave it a bit of stick on the back roads, at high revs (I used to own a mk2 crx vtec some years back!) for just a few mins. Temps Rose to 110-112 degs. But I shall see what it gets to after driving just to work and back like normal next week, then see the difference the week after if I get the cooler on next weekend. 馃憣馃憣

Registered
On track my oil is max 95degc im happy to run at that temp. It gets up there fairly quickly so in a good usable range. Its hot enough that i get pure water in my catch tank so any condensation is evaporating from my oil .For me 120degC would be alarm point as seen expensive oil at this temperature basically get so thin its has no film strength.
I use 5w 50 but a pure track car.

If you find your oil too cool for road use as the thermostatic sandwhich has a bleed to cooler so always a tiny bit open can do the mouse mat mod and block all or partial block of oil cooler say in winter or road use. This is quite a common mod with twin oil cooler rx8s.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
On track my oil is max 95degc im happy to run at that temp. It gets up there fairly quickly so in a good usable range. Its hot enough that i get pure water in my catch tank so any condensation is evaporating from my oil .For me 120degC would be alarm point as seen expensive oil at this temperature basically get so thin its has no film strength.
I use 5w 50 but a pure track car.

If you find your oil too cool for road use as the thermostatic sandwhich has a bleed to cooler so always a tiny bit open can do the mouse mat mod and block all or partial block of oil cooler say in winter or road use. This is quite a common mod with twin oil cooler rx8s.

Thanks, That's a good idea, never thought of that! (the mouse mat idea) makes things a bit more simple... At a guess with a bit more thrashing my oil would have got to 120 or above, but I'll check that this week, and if so, then having an oil cooler will definately be necessary after fi, but shall see.. my oil could use a change anyway tbh.

Registered
I think without turbo your fine plenty of 5s getting thrashed worldwide with no probs but turbo i expect that temps would easily go north of 120deg C track use. My mates been using my 1.8 10ae on track this year..no issues all oem... recent hot cadwell i had to tell him off as out for 25 blimin minutes and the standard rad couldnt cope and the rad cap was lifting. God knows what the oil temp was then.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Well after a week or so of driving pre-turbo and oil cooler install, for anyone wanting to compare in the future:
with the temps being about 16-20 degrees outside, it takes about 5 mins for my oil to get to about 60-80 degrees. About 5-10 mins to get to 90-100 degs. And will sit at about 112 degs on a run of about 70mph. All casual type driving. Will report back after oil cooler plumbed in this weekend hopefully..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Had oil cooler in now for a week or two. Car seems to get to about 50 degs in about the same amount of time, maybe takes a few mins longer, but generally the temps are about 10degs cooler overall. After about 10 mins is at 80degs, where it would have been about 90+ without cooler. - this is with the stat closed (opens at 92degs).
So at a guess, with the extra heat of the turbo, should be about right.. Not sure about winter yet, but wouldnt know what the temps would have been pre-cooler anyway.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts